Chapter 6

~Dainin~

Dainin paced the conference room, growing impatient the longer he waited for the Alpha to arrive. His mate's scent overwhelmed his senses from the moment he stepped into the packhouse and he needed to see her.

"Are you in a rush to be ignored again? Don't forget why we're here," his wolf growled.

"Well, the sooner we get this settled, the sooner we can get answers from her," Dainin snapped, pointing out the obvious.

"You don't think I want to find her as desperately as you do? I'm choosing to focus on the pack's needs first," his wolf exclaimed, and Dainin took his seat before his fist flew through the nearest wall.

He wasn't trying to be selfish, but he needed to know the relationship between his mate and the Alpha. He wouldn't accept losing her after they just found each other. He just needed to catch her eye.

"You definitely caught someone's attention," his wolf stated gravely and Dainin turned to see the Beta staring him down. She wore the same judgmental expression as Zander. He was about to attempt small talk, but the doors finally opened and Zander walked in with the Alpha in tow, but something was off.

"You were wrong. This man is not the Alpha," his wolf confirmed. Dainin turned his attention towards Cadence to find she was still silently staring him down.

"You lucky man," Alan chimed in before looking down at the table, but Dainin ignored him.

His glare was focused on the new man in the room. Alpha or not, this man was still involved with his mate somehow. He could smell her sweet scent clinging to his clothes.

"How dare he touch what's ours! I'll show him who she belongs to," his wolf snarled, taking control. Dainin's body began rising from the seat but he froze when Cadence touched his forearm.

"Please keep it together. Alpha Hayes is on her way down," she spoke kindly, but her eyes showed a different emotion. They promised a fight if he threatened a pack member.

Dainin nodded, raising his hands in surrender, but his glare shifted to a look of confusion. "Did she just refer to their Alpha as a female," he asked, but his wolf was silent.

"That's Elijah. He's our Delta and part of the council making the decision about your pack," Cadence explained, bringing him out of his thoughts again.

He locked eyes with Elijah, who looked confused by his animosity, but Dainin decided to let it be, for now. Suddenly, his skin rose in goosebumps and his heart began to race as Tessa's scent became stronger, instantly calming his emotions. He was more than ready to see her up close and personal.

The doors swung open and there she stood in all her beauty. Her bright eyes held a hint of excitement when they met his own, but her full lips formed a grim line. He slowly looked her over and saw her hair was pulled up into a messy ponytail, exposing her bare neck.

"Look! She isn't marked," Dainin pointed out. He was overcome with relief and had to fight every urge pushing him to claim her in front of everyone.

"I think you're missing the bigger picture here," his wolf purred as they watched her take her place at the head of the table. Dainin and his wolf growled with satisfaction as they admired her strong figure. They reveled in the power that radiated off their mate. She was the embodiment of confidence and everyone in the room gave her their attention.

Cadence rose, motioning to Dainin. "Alpha Hayes, this is the Alpha of White Sand, Dainin Monroe," she said and Dainin's eyes grew wide with surprise once more.