Chapter Thirteen

||Clayton||

Kissing Aubree was like a million matches went up in flames and hit the ground around me. It was so unexpected, yet the way it felt was everything I expected it to be.

I never wanted to let her go.

Walking into the kitchen this morning to see her sitting there at the table felt unreal. The sunlight shining in through the window, illuminated her. I was convinced she was a real-life angel, and I couldn't remove the grin plastered across my face. Just seeing her made my heart accelerate.

I sat down across from her and I watched as a smile grew across her face. She almost seemed bashful and I thought it was cute as hell.

"So, Aubree." My mom interrupted, joining us at the table, smiling. "I was thinking me, and you could take a girl's shopping trip later today."

I raised my eyebrows at Aubree, "That could be fun." I chuckled, partially being sarcastic. I didn't enjoy shopping with my mom, but for all I knew, Aubree would.

"You really don't have to do that. You've done so much already." Aubree's voice was quietly, and I worried she felt like a charity case.

"You're part of the family now, and our family can never do too much for each other." My mom took a sip of her coffee.

Aubree smiled softly and glanced at me. "I see where Clayton gets his generosity from."

"Well," My mom moved the mug away from her lips, "Clayton is also just a good person all on his own." She rose from the chair just as my dad walked in the room. "Dan, I think we should give these kids some privacy." She said as she ushered him back towards the living room. She always knew when something was going on.

The room fell silent and neither of us were sure where to begin, but I knew this conversation wouldn't start if I didn't speak up first. "How are you feeling this morning?" I couldn't help but smile when I looked at her.

"Really good, actually." I thought I saw a hint of a grin but just as soon as it began, she pursed her lips back together. "I think getting out of those hospital beds really helped."

"You don't have to go shopping with her if you don't want to." I thought I'd give her a way out, especially considering that she's still in pain.

"No, that's okay. I don't mind it." She shrugged.

"You don't?" I was almost in disbelief. I couldn't imagine Aubree spending a day with my mom. In fact, I was almost scared of it. Who knows what my mom would say about me?

"Clayton, your mom is really nice, like really nice." She elaborated.

"I just didn't want you to feel uncomfortable."

"I don't." She reassured me and it felt weird being on this side for once.

"Well," I started, "Could we do something together before she steals you away?"

Aubree eyed me curiously as she finished her cereal.

-

We sat in my dad's truck at nowhere in particular, just alongside a random street. Aubree's smooth hand rested underneath mine, perfectly in the middle of the seats.

"I'm sorry I don't have anywhere special to take you." I wanted to make every day memorable for her, but today I just came up blank.

It was cold, damp, and gloomy outside. October was just days away and I couldn't believe how far a single month had taken us.

Red and orange wet leaves painted the hood of the truck and a faint whistle could be heard every time the wind picked up.

"Clayton," Aubree caught my attention and I shifted to face her. "What happens between us now?" I watched as she played with her fingers, occasionally glancing up at me.