Meet-Cutes: V Squad

I steadied my breathing and concentrated on the piece of skin ripped from my cuticle waiting for her to pass

I steadied my breathing and concentrated on the piece of skin ripped from my cuticle waiting for her to pass. For decades, a mean girl stalking the halls of a high school meant the innocent cowered in the shadows. At Charming Heights Academy, the thumping of hi-top wedges and the scent of the latest perfume signaled the fearsome Dael Kelsey's arrival.

The morning's chatter halted as her nasal toned interrupted. "I'd like you to meet fat Jac Riley, Queen of the Virgins, a well-dressed cow waiting for true love," she announced to her newest lackey.

"Same shit, different decade..." Slamming my locker door, I faced the evil half-grins of her squad. "And still you're just another tired cliché like the color of your blonde." I swooped the bulk of my raven crimped hair and shielded the left of my chest. Calming my nerves, I flattened my white baby-doll peasant dress.

"Hi, Jac." An abrupt but gentle voice interjected, Sasha Miller my brother's best friend. A bright ray of light from the window above encased him as he strolled up. Glowing in the sun, the illumination brought out the freshness of his ocean blue polo shirt paired with his crisp khaki tan shorts, and black Reef sandals. A combo Sasha favored every day of the year, even in the winter. But his towering frame of 6'8 and 300lb size closed the space around the three of us. "Morning, Dael."

"Ugh, morning, I forget Jac needs a bodyguard because her Samoan barbarian brothers think she's a baby."

"Come on, Dael..." Stepping closer, he groaned. "We just wanna go to class."

"Um, sure, whatever." Swirling around, in her orange and white cheer tracksuit, which matched the others, Dael picked up her pace. Her posse hurried behind clenching onto their identical retro 90s trapper keepers. "Later, virgin freak." Watching their bopping heads mimicking shades of autumn leaves bounce down the hall, I sighed relieved.

"She's at it early today." He grinned.

A searing ache shot under my left brow, as I rubbed with concentration. Three weeks have passed since beginning my freshman year. In the mornings, I had mastered staying hidden from the Cheer Squad. But today, I started behind schedule.

"You know, I don't need you to walk me to class every day."

"But I don't mind."

"I don't care." I flicked my hair, annoyed with Dael's exhausting existence. "She's stupid and right—I'm not a baby, I don't need a walker."

Breathing deep, the wrinkles in his forehead showed his frustration. Yet, I committed to my stance. "I get it, but I like our walks. Don't you?"

With ease, his charm smoothed my frustrations away. I succumbed. "Uhn, you're right..." I exhaled. "Sorry for being a jerk." My left fist connected with his right arm as he mouthed "owie" while flashing a warm grin. The slight slip of my hand went under his locking arm-in-arm we walked down the hall. "You're lucky, you're my favorite."