Acting on Your Impulses

For the rest of the weekend, Draven and I never crossed paths

For the rest of the weekend, Draven and I never crossed paths. Except on our last day at the beach house, everyone raged around the bonfire. But the hook-up vibe strong as plenty of couples took advantage of the romantic scenery.

Sensing Cary influenced by their display of affections, he throatily uttered, "Babe... Yum... You smell like heaven..."

I snickered and rested my hands on his broad shoulders immersed in the paleness of his eyes and said, "Funny, I'm wearing Heavily by Victoria Secret."

From behind, I spied Farrah running toward the water. Relying on a hunch, I left Cary for a bit. The moon full cascaded on us, and I basked in its light. Through the sparsity of the clouds, the comforting shine of the moon unaffected my sad friend.

"Hey." We embraced as she heaved and sighed. "Babe, you okay?"

"How do you always know when I'm sad?" Then, she flooded my sweater with her tears. "Jac, I messed up... I fell for them... Cassie and Kyler."

"Oh, man..." I released and we landed on our bottoms. "I'm sorry."

She burrowed through her emotions and expressed, "My feelings for them are different but the same. With Cassie – it feels right, but with Kyler – it feels natural." She blew her nose on her arm soaking her sweater. "Isn't it the same thing?"

"I don't know." I pondered, "Maybe."

Farrah tried explaining, "Cassie opens doors for me, and we laugh hard together, I literally drool like when I'm with you. But Kyler's amazing... she wrote an entire cello piece dedicated to me." She snorted and cried more. "What the freak am I doing to myself, Jac?"

"What are you doing?"

"Being stupid, I guess." She dabbed at her nose, dried her eyes and sniffled. "How am I supposed to choose?" Then, she eased back onto her heels and wrung her sleeves after soaking the material. "I want to be like you... because you choose Cary, and you've moved on from Draven."

Averting her stare by looking upward to the moon, I replied, "Yeah. I'm definitely super lucky."

"Do you think they'll be down for a polyamorous relationship?"

"I don't know... You should ask?"

Laughing together, we stayed a few more minutes under the moon. Imagining, any of our partners settling for a throuple an insane vision of a threesome. Yet, unlike Farrah, I chose the one I loved more than the other. And after this weekend, Draven understood he lost.

Cary won my heart. But I loved lying. No matter, how hard I believed, the lie will never come true.