First Blood

Funny, Mondays, a fresh start to the week doubled as my favorite day

Funny, Mondays, a fresh start to the week doubled as my favorite day. The morning smells of Charming Heights in early fall differed from the summer scent. Likened to the aroma of my family's Sunday movie night staples of a hot mound of kettle popcorn and fresh-squeezed lemonade. Deeply inhaling the winter air, as its harshness danced on my skin keeping my eyes open.

But with the squad squawking about homecoming I dreaded dealing with the week. Every girl in school waited for an invite, and Cary wasted no time in asking. Watching him, hi-five, and fist-bump my brother Blaire, all the while looking my way.

"Farrah—take a picture of us," He said falling by my side. I dodged his arm. Comforted by his scowl at my success of annoying him the first hour of the day. "Why do you pretend not to like me?"

"Ugh, you must like her punishing you." Farrah sat close and pulled her phone out. "Come on picture time Cary, we match."

"You're hilarious." In catching her mobile, he fumbled grasping onto her I-Phone. Finally, gripping the cell, he clicked away. Then, leaning over he whispered, "We're gonna be together one day, Jacqueline Riley, I promise you."

Before replying, and afraid of falling for his stupid charm, I walked away. Under his gaze left me liking his possession.

"You... should give in..." Turning to my right, Dael snarled holding Draven's hand. Ignoring her, I moved along. "Oh, come on, Jac—you should say yes—be his dumb girlfriend."

"Chill, Kelsey." Cary stood upright flexing his chest. "No means no. Get it."

Rolling my eyes, I muttered, "Thanks." The jarring memory of them together laughing brought on a phantom stomach pain. I winced touching my belly, Draven noticed. Cary beamed, as I kissed him on the cheek. "See you later." While I pushed away nerves under Draven's intense stare.

In a quickness, we gathered our stuff rather than dealing with the Cheer Squad. Passing by Draven, he leaned out and nodded unseen. Acknowledging him with a returned nod, as his subtle hello, lifted, but confused my spirits for the rest of the day. 

Running to the other side of the gym Farrah dictated to the volunteers with a bite in where to hang balloons

Running to the other side of the gym Farrah dictated to the volunteers with a bite in where to hang balloons. After submitting V Squad as an official school club Ms. Sullivan, the activity director volunteered us for Homecoming Committee. In my chair, I had remembered burying the joy of hearing Dael fail in controlling her volume.