0| PROLOGUE

─────❝0| PROLOGUE❞─────

Marina Cuevas always walks with purpose

Marina Cuevas always walks with purpose. She's used to it and she was trained for it. Ever since the police academy and the terrible things that seemed to always follow her, Marina learned that showing you care gets you killed.

The woman strutted to the District twenty-one building and took off her sunglasses before approaching the desk. "Good morning, Sergeant..." she paused a second to get a good look at the name tag before smiling back at the older woman. "Sergeant Platt. I'm here to speak with Sergeant Hank Voight of the Intelligence Unit."

Trudy Platt usually was a confident woman, and pretty straightforward, but the confidence and certainty coming from the young woman in front of her threw her off her game. "And you are?"

The girl flashed her badge to the woman. "Detective Marina Cuevas, Vice."

Sergeant Platt took the phone to call Hank Voight, something Marina assumed, and after a minute she was leaving her post and guiding Marina up the stairs. They walked up the stairs, and when they were on the correct floor, Trudy turned to her. "Sergeant Voight will come and get you in a minute."

"Thank you, Ma'am."

Her eyes turned back to the room, and she noticed several empty desks and a couple of doors, she assumed one leads to Hank Voight's office, a break room, and the interrogation room. From one of the doors, a man came out and halted on his steps when he saw her.

"Marina Cuevas," the man said, a smile on his face.

"Antonio Dawson, cómo vas?" Marina said, their mother tongue coming out. They hugged, pulling away.

"What are you doing here, Mar?"

Marina looked over his shoulder and saw an older man looking at her, and gesturing for her to step into his office. "I'll tell you later."

She walked to the office and took a seat in front of the table. Hank Voight closed the door and sat on his chair, facing the woman. "Marina Cuevas, a vice cop. Former Military, Special Force." She nodded, not taking her eyes from him. "You're really good at what you do, Detective Cuevas." Marina let out a small smile, but not too noticeable.

"I admire your work, and I've seen how you do it. It's impressive, Marina. And that's the kind of abilities I like to have with me." Marina just blinked. She adored compliments because she knew she was one of the best.

"I want you to be part of my unit."

Marina didn't know what she was expecting, but for some reason, it wasn't that. Intelligence was what she considered elite, and it was an honor being recruited for it. She let out a smile, a noticeable one this time, and she quickly composed herself. "What do you think?"

Marina took a few seconds to think about it. She made up her mind and stood up, extending her right hand to Hank Voight. The older man stood up and connected his hand to hers. "It would be an honor, Sergeant."

Hank Voight smiled at her and stepped around his table to face her. "Tomorrow, eight am sharp. I'll give you a rundown about the team and who you'll be paired with." Marina nodded and opened the door to get out of the room.

"Detective Cuevas." She stopped in her tracks at the voice and turned around again to face the man. Hank Voight was never a man of emotion, but this morning, he was smiling at her, and it made her feel good in a sense.

"Welcome to Intelligence."