Dress up

Bethany's POV

I was in charge of getting myself awake in the morning as my parents didn't wake me up, they got up, too early for me, to go to work and I'm sure they are too busy to worry about me getting up, if I didn't then it would be all my fault if I was late for school. But I really didn't see the point of going to school anymore, I really couldn't bring myself to go as I think of all the things that could go wrong. I feel my eyes flutter open, the sun was seeping Into my room through the open curtains and lit up the room with light. I leaned over to my phone, which was on my nightstand, and opened it up to reveal the time, it was already 10 am. I knew I should have cared because I was just about 2 hours late but I couldn't bring myself to. I only got up when I noticed a sticky note on the door of my wardrobe.

I got up and walked over to it, the sound of my feet on the creaky floor was the only sound thought out the house. It had some wobbly writing on it and there were mom's flats under it with a pair of black tights on them, meaning she must have snuck into my room when I was asleep, she did come back. I picked it up and read out slightly aloud, 'I'm sorry, you were asleep when I got back but I left the flats for you. I hope you have a lovely evening, Love mom.'. I smiled and folded it up four times before putting it in my pocket, I totally forgot that I still had to go to town with Mort... I picked up my phone from where it has charged on my night table. I had an unread message from Mort. There was one this morning and a few last night, I guess I had my phone on silent...

Unread messages (5)
Yesterday:
Mort: Hey beth.. so Milo told me what happened at his house and we were wondering if you were okay?

M: B??

M: Are you there?

M: We're all worried about you...

Today:
M: Hey, are you coming to school today? You've already missed first lesson and Milo is freaking out, could you at least tell us that you're okay?

I sigh. I was too tired to have this conversation, I couldn't be bothered and if I messaged then he wouldn't even get it until break unless he risks to get in trouble but I know that I'm not worth that, he must already know that. But what stood out was the fact that Milo was worried about me, I didn't understand why until I remembered that this was Milo we are talking about, he cares about anyone regardless of who they are and how bad they are. I wonder how much Milo told Mort, I wonder how he reacted, I hope that Mort didn't tell them anything, It already took me so long to trust him a little bit, I don't want that effort be just a waste of time. I knew I had to message him back though so I took a deep breath and started to type, walking to the kitchen at the same time.

Beth: I'm fine. I don't know what Milo has told you but everything is alright, I had just been a bit stressed at the time.

B: sorry for not responding earlier, I was busy. I don't think I'm going to school today, sorry, but I'll be there in town still, just feeling a bit down.

I stop and push 'send'. That'll be enough, at least I hope it is and he doesn't ask any questions because my mind wasn't really working and I was too exhausted to deal with my own problems. I went to go get some breakfast but then I realized, I couldn't. I mean, my body wouldn't let me, every time I thought about eating or looked at food, I left sick, I had lost my appetite. I'll just get something in town when I'll feel better, I'm sure of it. I decided to get ready now because I knew that if I didn't do it now, I would get distracted and be late and that thought made me anxious. I went back to my room and took out the things I needed. I took another deep breath, deciding to get changed first and then do makeup and then do other things that I need to do.

I picked up the dress, I was nervous, what if I didn't like my reflection? What if I didn't pass? What if I looked really weird? I tried to calm down as I started to get change. It's not like I could go back now so last minute, I didn't want to be that kind of person, so I just gathered up all the courage I had, which wasn't that much, and turned away from the mirror, deciding to not look until I was completely ready. As I slipped on the dress, I realized a flaw, it was sleeveless and I didn't exactly like my shoulders right now because of a few visible scars that littered my skin when I had hurt myself purposely. I had started hurting myself a while ago but I've been trying to stop after I accidentally showed then to Milo and Zack while getting changed for pe, it also gave me anxiety and made me so paranoid.