SEPT

Ethan groans at the sound of his alarm, which he had forgotten to turn off. He noticed a handful of new texts in the group chat--from Marcy--but didn't bother checking them.

After tossing and turning for half an hour, he decides he really can't sleep anymore and begrudgingly pulls himself into the shower. It was the first day of spring break, and he was looking forward to sleeping in and spending all day in bed, but that didn't seem likely now.

After his shower he trudges toward the kitchen and pours a bowl of cereal, eating it standing up with his eyes still half closed. He misses his mouth and drips almond milk down his bare chest, but is too tired to wipe it away. His parents left for work, and he assumes Grayson is still asleep like a normal person, so it's just him in the kitchen.

"Why are you awake?" His brother snorts, walking through the front door and making him jump. Ethan was mistaken--he should've known his brother would be awake early, even on vacation. "Did you just get home or something from hanging out with Alondra?"

"Why are you awake?" Ethan scoffs, placing his bowl in the sink. It was evident Grayson just came from a morning run, but he was in a bad mood and wanted to avoid the questioning. "Forgot my alarm on."

Grayson rolls his eyes, "call Alondra. You're fucking grumpy. I don't know what you guys are fighting about but I'm sure talking will help more than not talking."

Him and Alondra hadn't hangout in nine days now. Not since the party.

They had a couple of brief run-ins at school, and messaged the group chat a few times for Marcy, but other than that it was radio silence. Ethan felt so stupid the second he woke up that morning. How could he sleep with his best--and only real close friend?

They were both drunk, and he was so mad at Phoenix he wanted to do something, and before he knew it his tongue was in her mouth. The entire night was a blur, but he knew they had both been stupid.

"Are you kidding? She's probably asleep--and we aren't fighting, just busy."

Alondra was, in fact, not asleep. She was sitting on her front porch wrapped in a blanket and waiting for Marcy. Marcy, who had insisted on driving all night to get there sooner.

"You look cold!" Marcy shouts, stepping out of her car. She's grinning as Alondra rushes over and pulls her in for a hug. "Hey, loser, I can't breathe."

"Shut up and hug me you sarcastic bi--"

She cuts herself off with laughter, ecstatic to finally be able to see her in person. They both climb into Marcy's car and head downtown to grab coffee.

Though they've still been texting and calling, they have so much to catch up on. The two converse almost nonstop through bites of croissants and sips of coffee as they relish in the moment.

It's when they're climbing back into her car afterward that they finally take a second to breathe. Alondra takes her keys to give her a break from driving, and when Marcy sits back in the passenger seat she hums.

"So do I finally get to meet the cute boy?"

Alondra sighs, letting her shoulders slump. "Not today."

"Okay, what's up with you two? You've barely been in the group chat, and you haven't sent a single selfie with him in over a week," Marcy raises her eyebrow.

Typically, they told each other everything. Alondra just wasn't sure how to tell her this.

"We kind of... slept together at that party."

"Oh my god," she chokes, looking at Alondra with wide eyes. "I mean, I figured you two would--like eventually, but I didn't think it would happen like that."