Eternal Wynter Chapter 9

Wynter strolled passed Hayden and headed straight toward the Eternal Fountain. Slight billows of steam rose from the water as it slid down into the large basin. The basin, like most things in the Court, was made from flawless ice. Designs of wolves prancing through the snow still decorated it - a leftover image of the last Solstice.

Wynter sat down on the side and turned toward Hayden. "Well, have you thought of anything? We need a central sculpture for the fountain and designs to decorate the basin and the wall. Just remember, the fountain can never stop flowing so we need a sculpture that will allow the water to flow normally."

Hayden had a sudden vision of a man made of ice, sword in hand, with water spraying out of its ears. He eyed the basin and asked, "What was the theme last year?"

"We honoured the wolves. And to make it clear before you ask, there was a sculpture of a wolf in the fountain. It was the like hood of a wolf howling at the moon and the water sprayed from its mouth. I remember that Asha was not amused." Wynter mumbled the last part, making it barely audible, but Hayden had keen ears.

He grinned as a picture popped into his head, but said nothing about it. Instead he turned to the walls and thought for a moment. Then he smiled. "I have an idea."

---

Many hours later, both Hayden and Wynter were exhausted. Beads of sweat pearled on his forehead, but they solidified almost instantly and fell to the ground. He sat next to Wynter on one of the ice benches she had created.

"Why can't you skate?" Hayden asked, breaking the silence that had enveloped the pair. Wynter glanced at him and studied his features. He looked genuinely curious, but not over eager. Unfortunately, Wynter could see a spark in his eyes that told her that he would not stop until he knew the answer to his questions.

Questions. Wynter had never liked them, but since she had partially raised Crystal she had gotten used to them. Hayden's questions, however, made her mind buzz with the need to delve into memories of the past.

"If I could remember, I might have told you." Wynter said and closed her eyes.

Hayden frowned.

"What do you mean? If you cannot remember why, what's keeping you from learning?"

Wynter opened her eyes and glanced at Hayden. He seemed genuinely baffled that Wynter could not do something as simple as ice skate. "Why would you assume that something is keeping me from learning? What if I simply do not want to?"

Hayden grinned at her. "That is just an excuse." Wynter lifted an eyebrow and Hayden quickly added, "Your Majesty."

Why have I not punished this man for his cheek? Wynter asked herself. The answer came to her as quickly as the question had. He is strangely likeable and he challenges me in a way that I have not known for some time.

"What do you propose, Hayden? I cannot simply ask a villager to teach me, you know." The Heart glowed and the edges of her lips pulled upward. A rush came over Wynter and she shivered, but not from the cold. "If I do, they may have a heart attack. My people seem to idolize me for a reason I cannot fathom." The glow subsided and the rush vanished.

"I can teach you." Hayden said.

Wynter shrugged. "Why not? Crystal has been asking me to skate with her since she was a little girl."

Hayden's eyes widened. He hadn't thought that Wynter would actually accept his offer. "Alright," he said and got shakily to his feet, "we can begin right now." He held out his hand to Wynter, who took it and he helped her to her feet. "You will need skates, my lady." He said.