Chapter 47 - a Daring Raid

Chapter 47 – a Daring Raid

Thursday, July 19, 2046
8:47 PM
Downtown Houston
Houston, TX

The twilight began to fade away, and night befell the city skyline. The eleven of us, snuck our way among civilians in Downtown, heading towards Galnac VR. Wait, did I say eleven? Forgive me, we were fifteen, counting our four AI pals. Jake had already gone before us to reach the skyscraper, which everyone knew as the JP Morgan Tower.

I didn't expect my boss and hiring managers to be innocent to be honest, but now I knew they were, I was relieved. We looked in the sky, and several drones hovered above us, controlled by S.A.L.M.A and K.U.R.T, shaping as arrows to point us to the right direction. This was truly a wonder of technology and progress. We made our way closer into the devil's asshole, knowing none of us were safe.

"Downtown Houston has evolved so much, in the last twenty years!" said Reagan. "Hard to believe it was a long commute to get here."

"With some luck, we may get to just fly to Downtown?" I said jokingly. "Although, I don't doubt it will happen."

"No, I'm good. I wonder why your company didn't allow y'all to telecommute. Most companies are doing that nowadays, due to environmental and cost-effective reasons." Reagan was confused.

"It does, I could work from home if I wanted to." I said. "But I prefer commuting to work and seeing the wonders outside."

"Well, by this Christmas, you won't get to commute to work anymore." Miller declared. "Telecommuting will become mandatory due to budget constraints and salary cap restrictions, imposed on us by year's end. Also, in large part due to the light of recent events!"

"Alright, guys!" said Jake's voice on the radio. "I'm on top of the skyscraper, roof level! Preparing to base jump."

"Be careful, Jake!" I said. "I don't want you hurt!"

"My love, I'll be fine! But I need to do this, for the fate of the planet!" said Jake. "Already bad enough sea levels have risen a quarter mile, in the last few decades."

Jake then sighed and out the car window, I could see a figure as it jumped off the roof, dove towards the ground, and within three seconds, deployed a parachute. The figure then steered towards Galnac VR. We then got out of the car, which went back. Then we snuck our way through the vacant lot, where we got off.

Jake landed onto the roof of the building. He then shot a flare into the atmosphere. The red lit flare shot high. Wasn't sure why he did so though.

"Jake? What was that?" said Aunt Sandra.

"Yeah, the calvary needs to come and soon." Jake responded.

"Not a bad idea." Ajay declared. "Need all the help we can get."

Swarms of drones then huddled closer to us.

"We'll keep you protected at all costs!" said S.A.L.M.A.

"Insert the virus and get out ASAP!" said K.U.R.T.

"Hoo-ah!" said Jake. "What about Long?"

"We'll deal with him!" said Ajay. "You do what you can!"