Worst Best Friend

The next day he barged into the girl's restroom, picking a fight with Hanako again. I floated upside-down behind him, looking around.

"This place looks a lot nicer than when I was here last! You've been pushing Yashiro to work, huh?" I grinned, turning right-side up.

After Kou was somewhat pacified, I was finally able to spend some time with my long-lost best friend. Kou watched us, somewhat off in the corner. I listened in like the nosy person I was as Yashiro went over to him.

"Something wrong Minamoto?" she asked, giving him a sympathetic smile.

I caught a glimpse of him blushing slightly. "No," he shook his head, "It's just...I can't make her smile like that..."

I glanced at Hanako, who also seemed to be eavesdropping. He cocked an eyebrow at me, then went back to subtly watching them.

"Do you like her?" Yashiro asked, slightly cocking her head to the side.

"Huh!?" his entire face went red, "N-No! It's not like that! I just...I wish I could make her like me like she likes Hanako..."

"You know he's totally crushing on you, right?" Hanako grinned, bringing my attention back to him.

"There's no way," I smiled, looking down, "I mean...I'm not exactly alive, y'know?" I started messing with my hands, "Crushing on ghosts doesn't really seem to work out that well. I'd know," my face turned a bit red.

"Whaddya mean?" he gave me a confused look which turned to a grin as he put the pieces together, "You like me?"

"I used to!" I shook my head, "Didn't I tell you? I used to have the biggest crush on you." I knew I had to be blushing pretty badly at this point. "Key word used to. Not anymore."

"You sure~?" he took a step towards me, giving me a mischievous smile. He put his hand under my chin, bringing his face close to mine.

I backed up a bit, "Yes! Yeah! Uh-huh!"

Suddenly I felt a hand on my waist. Kou pulled me back towards him, holding his arm around me protectively.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a low voice that was unusual for him.

I looked up at him, then over at Hanako, who was giving me a face that screamed "told you so!"

"Y-yeah, I'm fine, Hanako's just teasin' me a bit," I hid my red face from him.

"I'm only stating the fact. It's obvious you like him, it's all over your face," Hanako gave me a devilish grin, knowing full well what he was doing.

"Hanako!" I tried to move away, but Kou was stronger than he looked. He used his other hand to angle my face up towards him, getting a good look at my face.

"You're so red..." he blushed, "So...who's he talking about? You don't have a crush...do you?"

"God, you're dumber than I thought!" Hanako laughed, "It's obviously-"

"Don't you dare!" I yelled, feeling the tips of my ears turning bright red.

"Well, why don't you just ask her?"

"You're literally the worst friend I've ever had and I hate you so much!" I moved, accidentally burying my face into Kou's chest. He felt really warm and his shirt was soft. I tried to move away again but he held me in place.

"Kou I-"

"You'd better get going. Don't wanna be out too late, right? It's going to start getting dark soon," Hanako grinned before disappearing.

"You're using my first name," Kou realized, making me look at him again.

"Oh, I'm sorry Mina-"

"You don't have to stop..." he looked away, still holding me uncomfortably close. "Let's go talk somewhere alone...if you don't mind."

I nodded, feeling his hand slip down to grab mine. I was finally able to breathe properly as he led me out of the bathroom, through the empty hallways, and out to the courtyard.