chapter three; comb

flora dragged me along out of the large horse stables out past the maze and large granite mansion.

"your brother is quite the charmer, isn't he?" i chimed, watching the little girl skip along, her dark locks bouncing along with her.

"he doesn't talk to very many people, he got kicked out of school because of it." she chimed, pushing the door open to the stables.

"is that so? well i guess i'm special huh?" i joke, following her in and observing the place. there was two horses in the pens.

flora turned to me and handed me a doll. "here, you can play this one, but be careful. she's my favorite." she smiled.

"well, what does miles do for fun?" i asked softly, taking the doll.

"he plays drums and bass, and he plays with me and rides his horse, and he listens to music." she listed off sloppily as she thought up answers.

i thought for a moment. music, huh? the universal language. maybe i could understand him that way. i soon snapped from my thoughts as flora spoke.

"can you braid hair?" she asked with a smile.

"of course, do you want me to braid yours?" i asked as she nodded, handing me a wooden hair comb. i sat on a bench with flora on the floor in front of me.

i stroked the comb through her long hair until it was untangled, then portioned it and began weaving it together. once i finished, i tied it off with a hairtie on my wrist.

"i love it! thank you!" flora smiled, standing up and hugging me.

"oh, it's no problem sweetie." i smiled in return.