Chapter Two: Tea and Tears

"Carlynn?" Mum called quietly from inside the hotel. I whip around to see her holding open the door, smiling sadly at me.

"Come on in now, people are arriving," she says placidly. I nod and take on last deep breath, heaving in the heavy autumn air.

I head in and glance around the room. My grieving Aunt Alice, my mourning cousins, some of Emmy's broken friends, and my Nan.

I head immmediatly to her, and wrap her in a huge hug.

"Oh, my Rose," she whispered, using my middle name. I didn't question it, just snuggle deeper into the warm embrace. "I missed you so much. It's great to see you, but terrible that it's on such... bad circumstances." I nod and hold back tears.

'I love you Nan,' I sign, once out of the hug. "Love you too sugar plum," she whispered, kissing my cheek before heading to watch Gabe.

I glanced out the window and saw the familiar raven black quiff of Zayn. I got up and sprinted towards the door. When he could see me clearly, he started to walk quicker too, and soon we were hugging tightly.

Sure, I saw him at the funeral, and burial, but we didn't talk. There was too much commotion; the Harry hug, Niall breaking down, the speech, the questions without answers.

"It feels so good to hug you, you have no idea," he whispered. I smiled at the accent and pulled away. 'Oh my gosh, Zayn,' I signed, sighing. 'I missed you so much. How was Bradford?' "Amazing, as always," he smiled. I smiled back and then started to get worried.

'Where are the rest of the boys?' I signed. "Li's talking to Harry, and Louis and and Niall are right," he paused and pointed to the duo, approaching us. "There."

'Oh,' I signed, biting my tongue.

I watched as the two lads came closer, their features becoming more prominant and visible through the misty air.

'Lou,' I signed. 'Can I talk to you for a minute... alone?' The lads seemed confused, but they let me go with Lou.

"What's up, C?" He asked. 'Did you find out what Niall was talking about?' I signed desperatly. "No, sorry Carylnn," he sighed. "Won't tell anyone. He's barely speaking. Hasn't talked the entire car ride."

'I have a feeling that this... secret... I think it's bigger than what we've thought,' I signed, running a hand through my curls, which had turned into waves at this point. "What do you mean?" He asked. 'I don't know,' I sighed. 'But think about it, if it's so bad that Niall can't say it now, think about how bad it was for her telling him. This isn't just about Emmy's death anymore. This is about Emmy's life.'

**

I walked into the little coffee shop, sighing at the little joyful bell. At least something was happy. Right now, I wasn't angry at anything, just in denial that a week ago, we had to bury my older sister. Just a miniscule week.

I walked towards the counter and waited for John to look up and realize that I was here.

"Hi, welcome to Spoons," he said, wiping the table, eyes glued to the rag. "What can I get for- C?" His voice got excited as he looked at me. 'Hey John,' I signed, smiling broadly. He jumped over the counter and wrapped me in a hug. "Oh my gosh, Car. I missed you so fucking much," he said into my hair.

I nodded into his chest and remembered everything about the lad. Those days where we would go swimming in the creek way back when, when I still had my voice. The days where we would fight over a cute guy, and I would say that he was mine, before John would fight that he was obviously gay and madly in love with John. The time he came out to me, in full confidence.

Ah, I remember that day perfectly.

I headed over to his house, in need for some boy advice, since Harry and I were having some small problems. I couldn't find him, so I headed up to his room. He jumped out of tha closet yelling, "Hey Carlynn, I'm gay!"

I let out a soft chuckle as the memory burned in my mind, like the soft glow of a candle.

I released him from the .warm hug and wiped my eyes. "What can I get you, love bug? The usual?" He asks. I shake my head. 'No, Mum wants a large black coffee, Dad wants a small herbal tea, and Gabe would like a scone. I'll have... a medium hot chocolate,' I decided. He nodded and punched some stuff in on the register.