Kunal

As we reached the Rajvansh House, I pleaded bhai that we go somewhere else. He understood and  took a U turn and drove away. The rest of the ride was a quiet one, we listened to some nice soothing songs and let the drizzle wash away the sorrow.

"Bhai, where are we going?" I asked him eventually. 

"There is a place, I'm sure you will like it there." He smiled at me as we drove inside the gates of a residence. We had entered the parking area of a beautiful white house, which had a well-maintained garden surrounding it. Though it was dark, the street lamps illuminated a small fountain in front of the house.  

 "Whose residence is this?"

"Do you like it?"  Bhai asked. 

"It is beautiful." When we walked in front of the main door,  I saw the door name plate, a black color MISHBIR  was engraved in the golden plate.

"I bought this house some time back. When I had planning to move out of the Rajvansh house and move in with Mishti and Mehul Kapadia," he sighed. He opened the front door and switched on the lights. "The last time, Mishti came with me, it was an empty house. But I have been filling it with furniture though there are many things missing that I wanted to be of Mishti's choice.  But I definitely have a room ready for you." He smiled.  

"Bhai, this is your house? It is so beautiful."

"Come on, let me show you around." We moved inside the living area which was lit with beautiful lights. There was a white sofa and a white table. The theme of the house seemed to be white. "I've mostly picked up White for the basic furniture. White just reminds me of Mishti, pure love, peace and she's my sukoon." Bhai spoke dreamily, "Do you like the furniture Nanko?" 

I nodded. It was my brother's first house that he had bought from the money he had earned from the paintings and working in the NGO.  I was so proud of him.  "Bhai, this is feels just like your room!" As we moved into the first room. 

Bhai laughed  and looked at me which a perplexed expression, "Well, I am designer so I guess it looks like my room, but when Mishti puts her input, it will the best place." He smiled and that smile turned into a worry.  There on the wall was a picture of Mishti.

"When did you paint this picture?" I asked bhai curiously. "You've painted her so well." 

"Nanko, I painted this picture when I didn't even  know that I was in love with her. Do you remember the exhibition that caught on fire?"

I did remember that day, when Bhai ran inside the fire-filled exhibition to find Mishti. "I had painted this picture as Mishti wanted a center piece for the exhibition. She knew this painting was very important for me and so on that day, when the fire filled the exhibition, Mishti returned to get this painting." He chuckled and then continued, "she did not know back then that this painting is her painting." 

"You fell in love with her when Mishti and I were in a courtship?" 

"That day, I realized that I had fallen in love with her. I wanted to tell you on your engagement day itself that I love Mishti, but before I could say anything, Mishti had broken the alliance."

The memories of the day became sharp in my head. It felt like such a long time ago. Since that day, so many things had changed, Kuhu and I got married. Bhai and Mishti confessed and are now going to get married. 

Bhai was again worried, he looked at his watch and then at his phone. 

"Bhai what happened?" 

"Nothing Nanko!" He showed me a room and said, "this is your room, I know there isn't a lot yet, but why don't you get some rest  and I'll just make some food!" 

I agreed with him, I needed to rest.  He hugged me and said "Forget what happened and we will start from a clean slate." He left me in the room and went to the kitchen.  As I sat on the bed, today's memories started haunting me again. It wasn't just a nightmare, it was the reality of my life.    My life had done a back-flip in just one second. I distracted myself by  playing some nice music, switched off the light and let the sleep come in . 

Do comment and vote! Please tell me if you are enjoying this and what you are liking about it. I'm open to criticism too. I would appreciate honest and constructive feedback.