Badi Maa

Like any normal morning, I woke up at six to pray to Lord Krishna.  But even after the prayer was over,  the constant fear of how the day would unfold dIsrupted my peace. The only thoughts I had were of Mishti and Abir.  In the first two hours, everything was silent, then as the clock hit eight, the rest of the family members started walking down to the living room and settling down to eat breakfast. 

"Good morning," Mishti's bade papa greeted and I replied as usual. His voice was calmer than yesterday. He picked up the tea the cook had prepared and  was heading to sit on his sofa when he looked at the dining table and exclaimed, "Where is Mishti?" 

"Sleeping." I replied abruptly, I had heard from the girls since last night. 

He gave a quick nod and Resumed Reading.  I took a few steps towards the main entrance, typing a quick message to Mishti and Kuhu when Varsha and Shaurya came downstairs too. 

"Maa, Kuhu and Mishti are still sleeping?" she asked, "they slept early yesterday too!" 

"Varsha, Kuhu had left last night only to be with Kunal," I said the half-truth. 

Shaurya was next to speak, he was disappointed, "She didn't inform me that she was leaving?" 

"She is married Shaurya, she has some responsibilities towards that family too. She didn't want to disturb anyone so she informed me when she went," I lied again. 

"I wish, I could have spent some more time with her," Varsha replied, picking up the two cups of tea. 

Just then, Jasmeet came down the stairs, "Abir's car just pulled in!"  And just as she said that, the door swung open and there stood by the door, Mishti, Kuhu, Abir,  and Kunal. They walked inside slowly. The white lie I told the family made them look at the kids and then at me. I shrugged my shoulders, the kids looks so tired. 

"Mishti?" Shaurya's father exclaimed out loud, "how come you are still wearing yesterday's clothes?" He was getting angry, "where were you last night?"

Mishti took two steps forwards to him, glanced at me and then spoke, "Bade Papa, I went to meet Abir." 

"Bade Papa," Abir started to explain but was stopped by the hand that Shaurya's father showed him. This was going to be bad. 

"I am talking to my daughter, Abir," his voice echoed in our hall. A shiver passed my spine, I remember this voice, he was furious. 

"Just listen to the kids once!" I tried to calm him down and gestured him to sit down. Looking at the four kids who were scared and nervous, "Sit down, we'll all talk."

Everyone took seats and Mishti was the one to begin, "Bade Papa, Badi Maa, I know what happened yesterday was bad, but I love Abir," she pleaded, "Bade Papa, please...."

"Mishti, do you know what you are asking for? You are asking me to allow you to marry and be Meenakshi Rajvansh's daughter in-law. I am already regretting that Kuhu is married in that house, who is governed by a woman like Meenakshi Rajvansh."

Abir wiped his one tear with the back of his hand, poor child was so disturbed by the whole thing and looked up at us, "Bade Papa, I know what Maa did was wrong. But please do not punish me for my mother's deeds." He folded his hands, his head bent down, "Please forgive me." He then looked up to face us, "I know Maa will never be happy for us, she might never accept us, but I need Mishti in my life, I love her and I won't let anyone hurt her." He then took a deep breath and continued, "I'll keep Mishti away from Maa."

"How?" Shaurya's father asked, a simple question, the answer to which  could change my daughter's future. 

"I'll move out of Rajvansh Sadan. I own a house, " he looked at Mishti and held her hand, " we'll shift there. If needed, we will move out of the city, " he gulped, "the country. We'll start a new  life away from Maa."