5. Tags and Book Cover

Now that you have your theme, it should be pretty easy to build it up from there.

   For tags, write down all of the words you can think of related to your story and theme, look them up on Wattpad on which ones are most used. The more used, the better. Because that means more people are looking for those kind of stories!

   Tags that aren't used as much is fine, you'll just reach a more smaller audience and your story will show up less in Wattpad's search results.

    Actors and actresses can work too as Wattpad tags. Make sure you look up the trending stories so you get an idea of what people expect when they encounter that person. It's okay to defy the norms, just tell the audience in your author's note that popular actor isn't playing your main character. Instead it's unheard of actor who plays as your main.

   This is a personal preference but I make sure to include the entire main cast actors as well. Why? Because I want to promote those actors and that others will discover who they are. Joven Olvido may be well-known in the Philippines for “Pilipinas Got Talent” but how many know that he today is part of a TV show “Funny Ka, Pare Ko,” appeared in “Ang Probinsyano” and had a cameo in a music video? And how come no website can tell me what his height and weight is?!

    Now that's done, let's move onto book covers! There are A LOT of ways to make one and it's only wrong if it doesn't make sense with the story. You can always fix mistakes for the cover, unless you delete the original file and the resources you used to make it.

    You can get someone to make it for you or you could make it yourself. Since I can draw and edit, I am free to do whatever I please. The apps I use are as follows: MediBang, ScrapPad, Texty, CameraEffects, Background Eraser, and no copyright image websites.

   Like with character designs, you need concept sketches for your book cover. Consider its genre/s, what's the ideal age demographic are you reaching out to, [Harry Potter has a WAY different design for adult readers compared to younger readers] your story and its theme. Make sure the book cover is something you yourself want to read! If you don't like it, chances are your audience won't either. Have fun with ideas, mix, match, add, and subtract whatever feels right for you story. No one knows it better than you.

   If you're making a series, consistency is key. (Keep the tags consistent too! You can change some tags if it's important.) If the cover of your first book is bright and colorful and the sequel is dark and monochromatic, there needs to be visual elements that tells them these two books are related besides your online alias. Use the same font, keep the same important plot-relevant symbol, and have the formats be very similar.

   You can look up the book covers of the trending ones in your genre, though I personally don't do this. So check those out, see what you like and draw inspiration. Get the vibes and techniques of the cover, not mimic it completely.

   If you can do it without bothering the design, have the covers numbered in order of the series. This way people can tell it's a series from the get go without looking at the description.

    You can ask your author friends to review your book cover. We all have blind spots, so having others critique your work is vital. Ask them of what do they expect the story to be like from the book cover alone. If their answers confuse you, ask what made them think that way and tell them what your story is about. Also ask for suggestions, ideas, and areas in need of improvement. You can enter threads and forums to ask for observations too.

   Also, find your style. Do you notice you keep using a certain format when you make a cover? Keep it! Make it your signature thing that readers can identify you off the bat.

   If you're planning to enter a contest, you might have to do extra planning. If you win, the sticker could potentially block a good chunk of the lower right corner of the book cover. If the prize includes two or more stickers, do research on which spots the stickers would take and would not, then create concept designs from there.

   Sooo yeah, that's all I have to say on the topic! Don't stop experimenting, discovering new resources and techniques. It's an endless learning process.

   Don't forget to read, comment, vote, and add to your reading list of my fanfiction of Renée Russell's Dork Diaries with a legal twist: “Dork Diairies: Winter Wake-Up.”