abyss

The worst part about loving Taehyung is knowing that he needs to leave you
all the time.

The first moment back from tour
is always precious,
precarious.
You are afraid that maybe, he is hiding
all his affairs
under that cream cashmere sleeve,
all the times
he silently broke your heart.

•••

"Did you ever do it?" You demand one day, unable to take it any longer. Unable to handle the frustration that accumulates inside you like the warmth of a nuclear bomb.

He is surprised that you spoke so abruptly. He is eating microwaved ramyeon, not even out of the plastic container.

"Do what?"

"Did you ever... you know..." you grit your teeth, bite your lip, anxiety crawling and growling about inside you. "When your on tour, I know you don't just stick to the hotel room. You and then guys go out. And I've just been thinking... you know... you know what I'm trying to say!"

He stares at you like you're an idiot, "No. I don't know. What?"

"Have you been with another girl? Ever?"

He stares at you in a different way now.

After a single beat of silence, he exclaims, "What kind of question is that?" Soft eyes wild, incredulous, bewildered. "No. I was not with another girl."

"Ever?"

"Yes!"

"Are you sure?"

"Why would you even ask that?" His are you crazy expression has morphed into a new one: concern and even deeper confusion. His eyes glaze over, wary and startled. "Why... what... why would you think that?"

The silence desolated the room, suffocating the air between you. You stir slowly in your seat, glancing downward. His gaze stays alertly locked on your eyes.

"I don't know," you whisper finally, twinging slightly with defensiveness. Mostly, you're overwhelmed with meekness.

"You're crazy," he scolds, but his voice overflows with conflicted fondness. "Come here."

He shuffles over on his seat, making way for you to squeeze next to him, but you don't move.

"I would never do that to you," he says.

"What makes you say that?"

"Because I just wouldn't. Ever," he snaps in a finalising tone. Eyes hard. "If I did do that, then it means I'm real, bloody, gobsmacking jerk. Seriously. Is that what you take me for? Am I jerk to you?"

You don't reply.

"If I do that to you, then you're allowed to take me by my wrists and toss me out the window. And we're on the 36th floor... and, I would never do that to you," his hands and eyes are already refocused on his ramyeon. He shuffles to get comfortable again. He mumbles, "I already don't deserve you."