resilience

In the mornings of those free days, you peel yourself out of bed. If Tae's not in bed with you, it's probably late morning. You take your time getting ready, brushing out the tangles in your hair, rinsing and cooling your face. You tug on your favourite sweater and leave the room.

Taehyung stands at the kitchen counter, his back facing you. You see the cornflower sweater that he's wearing and know that it's the sweater his sister bought him, a big red cherry stitched over the front. You always thought it looked cute on him. He stands perfectly still, his actions quiet and monotonous. He is frying himself an egg. You recognise through the silence that he's got AirPods stuck in his ears, hidden in that wild mane of dark hair.

The sizzling egg in the pan fills the air.

You walk over to Taehyung and spare a glance at the egg he's frying. He's not much of a cook, but, his fried eggs and omelettes are almost half-decent.

"Make me one, yeah?" you reach for the AirPod closest to you.

"Mm."

You wedge it snuggly into your ear. His R&B instrumental begins thudding you awake, gradually, warmly like a revelational journey to your soul. You begin preparing two mugs of coffee. Same as usual: your favourite for you, and noisette with a dollop of sugar for him. The morning starts and ends with the two of you lost in the same song, the soothing melody revving you both awake for the day.