Chapter 1: Now You See Me

[[Before]]

2 years ago.

Don't ask me why.

But whenever the Oliver Knight walked by it put ice-skaters to shame. I swear I could hear angels singing hymns of worship. He has this kind of swagger as he walked like he knew everyone worshipped him. Every step said he owned this, he knew who he was and what he stood for. And who are we mere mortals to deny it? I sighed.

The wind played in his beautiful brown hair which he stroked back with his fingers. He had grown a lot since the beginning of semester and I definitely had no complaints. He was almost 6 feet now and his shoulders were starting to fill in. I admired the way his shirt clung to his athletic body. The way he smiled. Oh, the way he smiled just made me want to melt into the floor even if it wasn't directed towards me.

I was sixteen and I was so in love it hurt. I looked away as quickly as I could, careful not to let him catch me.

“Kat! Don't look now but I think Oliver Knight is checking you out.” Vicky whispered excitedly into my ear. If you could called that whispering, I'm pretty sure my Aunty all the way in London heard that. I checked my reflection in the mirror, my oily hair was up and away in a high ponytail which looked especially full today. I chose to ignore the moon-like round face and double chins that stared back at me. It hurt to think about how many times Angel Cadwell had called me out on it, with her sleek model body. The acne was definitely taking a break today but I grimaced at my braces. There was really nothing I could do about that.

I glanced back and saw Oliver staring at me, smiling his signature smile. His beautiful blue eyes sparkled across the room. I absolutely loved his eyes. Blue was definitely the colour of angels and on him, it was just perfection.

And he was getting closer. He playfully tossed his football in the air as he walked towards us, giving me his full attention. I didn't know how to breathe anymore, I was close to hyperventilating.

“Should I go? Shouldn't I go? Do you want me here? He's almost here. KAT!” She said as she struggled to contain herself. Vicky was almost bouncing off the walls. I didn't know how I was keeping it together myself, to be perfectly honest.

“Hey, you're Kayla Winters right?” Oliver asked, his unsure look made him all the more adorable. I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and give him a huge hug. There was no need to be nervous, its just me Oliver. I've loved you from the moment I saw you. I wanted to yell.

“Her name is Katherine Summers actually.” Vicky asserted, just as I hurriedly said. “Kayla, yes. That's my name don't wear it out.” I was just about facepalm myself or maybe facelocker, when his whole face lit up in a smile. I felt my cheeks grow hot. I hated that. I looked like a ripe tomato.

“Right, Katelyn is way hotter. I knew it started with a K. You have History with me? Twice a fortnight?” He remembered the class we had together. I was going to scream and it really wouldn't have been pretty. It took everything I had not to let out a little squeal of pleasure. He had actually noticed me. This gorgeous boy had seen me and had remembered me.

“My friend's call me Kat. I mean we could be friends. It can be short for Katelyn too, I guess. I'm sorry yeah, that's me. You were so close to getting it right anyway. Katelyn and Kayla sounds just like Katherine. And yes, the best class if you ask me.” I rambled. I couldn't help it. I had to keep him interested somehow. Vicky squeezed my arm hard in excitement, she really had quite a grip. I squeezed back, trying to control myself.

“Yeah yeah, sure. I was wondering if you'd like to maybe hang out tonight at Moonlight Point? If that's cool?” He shot me his devious little smile and there was no doubt in my mind that I'd go. This was the opportunity of a lifetime. Moonlight Point was the infamous spot where couples went to make out, I absolutely had to go. It was far away from everything, school, worries, parents. The love of my teen life was asking me out to MAKE OUT. I had to make my dad agree somehow even if it meant extra chores for a year. It'd be worth it for Oliver.

“Yes! She'll go.” Vicky shouted before I had a chance to say anything. I couldn't believe this was actually happening.

“Sa-weet. See you there... cutie.” Oliver gave me a wink and I just wanted to melt into the floor. He called me 'cutie'. No one had ever said anything like that to me. I really just wanted to run on the rooftops and shout out my love for Oliver Knight. The sweetest, most amazing boy who had ever lived.

I knew. I just knew. This was going to be the best night of my life.