Chapter Two

I sucked in a gulp of air as I stepped backwards in fear. This is it, this is the moment I officially get tossed in a psych ward. I mean it didn't seem like I was imagining things, but I had to be right? I mean dragons just don't exist! Then again, I wasn't really one to talk; considering me and all my impossible abilities, some of which I had just demonstrated moments ago...but still...dragons? Of all the crazy concepts I had ever come up with to explain what was wrong with me, dragons had never been one. Vampires, witches, demons, and werewolves, sure, but dragons?!
    "Get behind us, princess!" a voice shouted at me; I think it was Caspian. I stayed where I was, too shocked to move. I urged my body to do something, anything, but my legs refused to listen to my brain.
    I gasped as I felt myself being tugged backwards into a pair of arms. I squirmed in irritation but the hands holding me had a strong grasp on me and I couldn't break out.
    "Stop squirming, princess, my brothers and I are trying to help!"
    "I'm the farthest thing from a princess as you could possibly get! And unhand me you great overly muscled oaf! I can take care of myself! And even if I couldn't, it's not like you guys and your muscles will be much help against freaking dragons!"
    "Aw, don't underestimate us, sweetness. We are more powerful then we look," Caspian replied with a smirk as he finally released me.
    Well that's a scary thought. I shuddered as I stared at the four men in front of me. They looked plenty powerful in their own right, but they couldn't possibly be stronger than dragons! Right?
    I shouted in shock as I stumbled back; watching the guys suddenly transforming with a flash of scales and pointy teeth. Turns out I was wrong. They could be stronger; seeing as they were dragons themselves.
    What the fuck! Is everyone a dragon and I just never realized it? Do humans even exist? Do I exist? Gahhh. I pinched myself hard to stop my existential midlife crisis - if that's what you could call it.
    Pull yourself together, woman! Now is not the time for a full blown panic attack!
    I scrambled to my feet and immediately had to dive behind the dumpster to avoid getting singed by the overlapping beams of flame that were coming from both ends of the alley; leaving me directly in their path.
    Stupid dragons...you would think mythical creatures who decided to suddenly be real could have the courtesy to have better aim! I grumbled as my foot landed on something squishy under my boot and I refused to look down. Gross.
    I peered out from behind the dumpster as loud roars and growls tore through the air and then I heard what sounded like several heavy dragon bodies being slammed against the sides of the alley - and then nothing but silence. I shifted nervously where I hid, not knowing who had come out on top and not wanting to leave my hiding spot if there was the slightest chance that I was still in danger. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those frilly girls who gets scared over something as pathetic as spiders (though I was terrified of them, but you get my point) but who wouldn't be terrified under the current circumstances? Even the bravest person in the world would tremble if suddenly stuck in a dingy alley with ten monstrous creatures they had thought didn't exist!
    "You can come out now, princess!" I guessed it was Caspian who called out as he was the only one so far who had called me by that nickname.
    "I told you not to call me that!" I huffed out as I slowly stood up and stepped out from behind the dumpster; being careful to avoid the puddles of trash on the ground this time. I kept my eyes down once I had made it back to the center of the alley, not sure what sight I would be greeted with; dragons or humans?
    "Now, now, precious, no need to be scared. We don't bite...unless you want us to do so, of course," I looked up at the grinning black haired man I vaguely remembered was called Elios. Now was so not the time to be getting turned on but damn it if I wasn't a little weak in the knees at his implications. Seriously, what is wrong with me!
    "Nah, I'm good, thanks. And thanks for the help just now and everything, but I think I'll be heading home now," I said cheerfully as I turned to make my way out of the alley.
    "Hold up, shorty! We are not done here, I have several questions!" I spun around and glared at the red head. I detested being called shorty!
    "That sounds like a you problem!" I declared as I turned once more towards the main street.
    "My brothers here think it was me who created that wall of fire earlier, but I know for a fact it was sure as hell not me, and it wasn't those sorry excuses for dragons we just knocked the fuck out, so that only leaves one other person - you. So yes, you're right. It most definitely is a you problem," Blaise said, his eyes flashing at me.
    Shit. I was so screwed. I had really hoped that in the chaos of everything that had just happened, they would forget to notice that I had used my abilities. I really need to start doing a better job at staying under the radar! But it wasn't like I had anyone in my life to help me learn how to control my magic; which meant that it randomly flared up whenever I was feeling threatened. It was a good self-defense mechanism, but meant that I was constantly on the run every time something happened and I was getting really sick of always being on the move. It would be nice to settle down somewhere for even just a year!
    "I have no idea what you are referring to, sir. I'm just a bartender. You four are the ones who are apparently mythical creatures that aren't supposed to exist!" I replied, doing my best to feign ignorance.
    "You've got to be kidding, Blaise. No way did she have anything to do with what just happened! Only those of the royal bloodlines have enough power to conjure up the elements in such a way. We all know that! Just admit it, man! You lost control. It's nothing to be ashamed of. We've all struggled with our powers over the years. We're not judging you!" Terrance said reassuringly. I stayed silent. Not wanting to accidentally say anything to convince the other three that their brother might be telling the truth about not causing the wall of fire.
    Now that I thought about it, I was surprised that Caspian and Elios weren't siding with the red head as well since from what I had gathered from their shouting earlier, they had also been accused like Blaise when I used my water and air abilities. But the two seemed to have forgotten that little detail and I wasn't stupid enough to remind them. If I was lucky, these men would think that their own crazy abilities were the cause and leave me the hell out of whatever messed up shit they were involved in. The last thing I needed was more drama in my life!
    "How many times do I have to say it wasn't me!" Blaise roared out angrily. I stepped back as I saw steam emanating off of his skin in thick white clouds. If this was how he acted on a daily basis, I could not really blame his friends for jumping to the conclusion that he was at fault. Blaise seemed to be the kind of guy who was very quick to anger. That kind of temper combined with magical abilities seemed to me to be a volatile mix.
    "C'mon, bro. This wouldn't be the first time one of us flared up without realizing it! You've got to admit, it's far more plausible it was you than some puny girl who reeks of human. We'd be able to sense if she was a dragon! And even then, she wouldn't be able to directly control fire like that." I frowned as Terrance talked down about me - but again, kept my mouth shut; not liking the idea that Blaise thought I might not be human...and not wanting to give them a reason to believe it was a possibility.
    Don't be ridiculous, he just said they would be able to tell if you weren't human! I tried to reassure myself, but certain things were not adding up. I definitely think I would have noticed if I was able to change into a fire breathing dragon, but if dragons existed, maybe other creatures did as well? There were too many unexplained things about me and it was getting harder and harder to ignore. My enhanced hearing, speed, and strength, for a start. Not to mention my elemental powers. Ugh, this is too much for my brain to handle right now. I really just need to go back to my hotel and fall asleep - when I wake up it will all turn out to be some horrible dream my overactive imagination decided to concoct just to torture me.
    "I don't see why we can't just take her back with us and have the professors run tests. If it turns out I am wrong; which I know I am not, then they'll just erase her memory of all of this and no harm done, but if I am right, then we get credit for discovering whatever is going on. Did no one else notice how those dragons directed all of their attacks towards the girl and not us? Am I the only one who finds that concerning?" I stared at Blaise as he glared at me, his face full of suspicion as he talked about me like I wasn't standing right there.
Tests? Memory erasing? Yeah, that's not going to happen! I thought to myself as I tried to back up as discretely as possible, not that it worked; since all four men had now turned to face me. No way was I letting myself become some sort of laboratory rat though. It was officially time for me to get the fuck out.
    Before any of them could say another word or take another step towards me, I spun on the spot and dashed forward. For the first time in my life, I was glad to be a mutant with inhuman speed as I raced towards the main street, my feet pounding roughly against the cobbled pavement.
    From somewhere in the distance, I heard cries of surprise and shock, but didn't dare pause in my movements to take the time to look back over my shoulder. I sighed prematurely in relief as I finally spotted my hotel in the distance and darted as quickly as I could for my room; which was conveniently located on the outside strip of rooms on the first floor.
    Unfortunately for me, I never made it to my destination. For the fourth or fifth time that night; to be honest, I had lost count, I felt my body being yanked backwards into strong arms that wrapped around me like a vice. My arms flailed around as I attempted to reach behind me and strangle whoever had a hold of me. Alas, I was doomed to fail at that goal as well.
    "I'm not going anywhere with you assholes! No way in hell am I willingly getting tested on only to have my memory erased after!"
    "Sorry, sexy, but you don't really have a choice in the matter, but on the bright side, if Blaise turns out to be wrong; which he will, then you won't even remember being tested on, so there's that..." the voice behind me trailed off at the end.
    "Right, because that is such a comforting thing to hear when you are being kidnapped in the middle of the night by mythological beasts!" I exclaimed as I continued to struggle against the tight grip that was holding me in place.
    "Enough of this nonsense, you will come with us back to the dragon realm whether you like it or not! Silence your pathetic human squawking this instant and follow quietly, otherwise I may find myself tempted to let my dragon out for some target practice!" Blaise hissed as he stomped over and stared down at me. I immediately ceased my escape attempts as I looked back at him. I had no doubt that this man would gladly follow through on his threat and I didn't want to give him any reason to do so. I reluctantly let my body go limp as my shoulders sagged in defeat.
    "There's a good girl, now please don't cause any more trouble. My brother, ever the hot-head, doesn't make threats lightly." I glared at Elios as he gently pried me out of my captor's grasp. I looked backward to find that it had been Terrance. And there I went thinking he was one of the nicer brothers. I shook my head. At this point, none of them were in good standing with me. They may have saved me back in the alley, but they were losing major points by dragging me along with them against my will.
    I opened my mouth, a pithy retort on the tip of my tongue, but caught Blaise still staring at me and decided I better not. I had that whole "foot in mouth" disease everyone talked about and it tended to land me in trouble. I was already about to be subjected to who knows what kind of testing; hopefully not the alien probing kind, and angering these men further wasn't going to get me anywhere good.
    The four dragons herded me back down another deserted alley, their eyes glancing furtively in all directions as they checked to make sure that we weren't being followed. I watched them anxiously out of the corner of my eyes as I kept my eyes low but shoulders high. A prison documentary had been playing one day at work and I remembered the narrator suggesting doing so as a way of drawing less attention and figured the sentiment was applicable in my current situation.
    "Here should be fine enough to create the portal. Can we hurry up though? I don't want to risk those dragons waking up and tracking us down!" I heard Elios whisper to his brothers.
    The next thing I knew, they were all holding hands and standing in a circle around me with their eyes closed. If I wasn't so terrified, I might have taken this opportunity as my chance to escape, but before I could move a muscle, I felt a powerful force slam into me as a sudden swirl of wind, fire, water, and earth appeared out of nowhere and circled around and around us so fast it would have looked like a solid wall if not for the flashes of colors from each element that swept around the five of us.
    I closed my eyes against the barrage of elements; feeling an intense stinging sensation from the combination of heat, wind, rain, and dirt that pelted me from all sides. Great, as if I wasn't filthy enough from the alley grime, now I was wet, cold, hot, and covered in mud. How much worse could things possibly get?
    Seconds later, I had my answer. My body was flung forward into the air. I was overcome by the sensation of falling but I couldn't see anything with the elements still attacking me. And then suddenly the flames disappeared, followed by the rest of mother nature and I was finally able to open my eyes again, only to find myself inches away from the ground.
    I screamed as my body slammed down to earth with a painful thud. If the landing hadn't been bad enough, it turns out we had arrived on a rocky hill, which I realized quickly as my momentum pitched me into a tumble down the slope. I winced as I felt the sharp and jagged edges of various stones cutting into my flesh. My view flashed between rock, dirt, sky, and grass, as I continued to roll over and over; dreading the end. This is definitely going to hurt.
    I finally came to a halt at the bottom of the hill and groaned loudly. I stayed sprawled out on the ground, too sore and tired to move.
    I heard shouts of laughter from above me as four dragons soared over my head; the sun reflecting off of their wings and causing me to squint against the bright light before they landed once more in a circle around me - now in their human forms again.
    "Need some help, short stack?" I heard one of the brothers ask, his voice filled with mirth as he leaned down over me.
    I smacked away the arm that was extended out to me. Dignity be damned - I had left that back at the top of the hill, but I still had my pride and I refused to have help getting back to my feet from the very monsters who had put me in such a precarious position in the first place. Stupid portal. Stupid dragons. Stupid hill. I had a lot more curses in mind as I got to my feet but kept them to myself.
    I bit my lip as muscles contracted and nerve endings shot messages of complaint up my spinal chord to my brain. Holly hell, that's gonna smart for days. I could already feel bruises starting to form in giant ugly patches all over my arms and legs as I did my best to brush off as much dirt as possible from my clothes while shaking my hair out; for all the good it did me. Nothing I did right now was going to make me look any less pathetic...
    "No one say a single word!" I spat out as I glared at the four men; wishing I had the power to knock them over on their asses at the smug looks on their faces.
    "Of course not, we wouldn't dare," said Caspian as he motioned for me to start walking back up the hill. I rolled my eyes as he winked at me and helped pull me over a boulder that was almost taller than I was.
    The climb back up the hill was just as painful as my trip down had been, and I was thrilled when I looked up to see the top was in sight.
    I stared wide-eyed as we finally crested the hill and I got a good view of where we had arrived. Perched in front of me was the strangest looking building I had ever seen. It reminded me of a castle with all the towers, pillars, and archways, but I also noticed large round outcroppings spaced at various locations and heights and I couldn't figure out what they could possibly be for. Oh wait, dragons...The sections must be landing pads like they have for helicopters and whatnot; only these were more than double the size.
    I felt a rough; yet strangely gentle, hand push against the middle of my back, startling me into stepping forward towards whatever fate awaited me.