Chapter Twelve

3rd Person POV
Once professor Pyrion had managed to disperse the crowd and herd the four brothers; Blaise trailing behind as he carried Sammy's limp body in his arms, into his office, he steamed a pot of tea leaves and sat behind his office chair, creating an aura of mystique that he had perfected over several centuries.
     "Okay, what in mother earth's name just happened!" Terrance cried out the minute he had settled onto the couch.
           "Yes, I'd like to know as well," Caspian chimes in, doing his best to remain calm while his insides churned like the sea.
           "Oh, come now, hatchlings! Is it not obvious? You all knew you were fated to share a mate, and there she is!" Professor Pyrion declared, cheerful as ever as he handed out cups of tea to the four friends.
     "She can't be our mate," Blaise spoke up, doing his best to avoid looking down at the unconscious female still in his arms. He had positioned her as comfortably as he could on his lap, almost cradling her like a baby, but he couldn't bring himself to look at her for one moment longer.
     "Of course she can! Did you not all feel the pull of the mating bonds when you kissed her just now?" Professor Pyrion clapped his hands together and sat back down at his desk, grinning as if he had not a care in the world.
      "But, but she's human!" Blaise exclaimed in disbelief.
     "Blaise, we've had this conversation a hundred times already, she can't possibly be human. She must be a dragon otherwise how else could she survive a dragon healing and how else would you explain her powers!" Elios exclaimed in irritation. The four of them had spent the last few months ever since they had met Sammy arguing back and forth over whether she was human or dragon.
      "There's no way she's a dragon! Especially if you want to believe she is our mate. Only the royal bloodlines can control the elements and she clearly is not a part of any of our families!"
       "We can't know that for sure! She could be a distant relative or something for all we know! And even if not, it isn't that absurd to believe that she's just a very powerful fire or air dragon from one of the lesser families. It's not unheard of. Plenty of hatchlings grow up to be stronger than their parents! And we still have no idea who her parents are! They could have been a fire and air dragon pair, that would certainly explain a few things," Caspian said, continuing to do his best to keep calm and think rationally. It was hard to do so now that the mating bond had begun; all he wanted to do was rip Sammy out of Blaise's arms and hold her for himself. He had almost lost her today and he had never felt so scared in his life.
    "She could also be of earth or water heritage as well! I still find it impossible to believe that she is capable of manipulating all four elements to any degree but maybe it's just a part of her being our mate. I mean, it was doubtful we would get stuck with just any old bonded, right? I, personally think it's fantastic we have such a powerful mate!" Elios commented, staring over at Sammy with a grin on his face.
    "Have any of you considered the idea that she might be something other than human or dragon?" Professor Python suggested with a knowing gleam in his eyes. He decided to speak up, as he knew the hatchlings were too young and foolish to consider the idea properly at the moment but still, he didn't want to give away too much of what he was thinking since; if he was right about his suspicions, it meant they were in deep trouble if any of their enemies ever found the girl.
     The four dragons just stared at the professor in confusion.
     "Take her back to her room and let that be the end of the matter for now, boys. It's been a long day for everyone and you will be feeling the effects of the bond waring down on you I soon suspect. Get some sleep and make sure not to discuss any of this with Samantha when she wakes up. It is vital that she remain unaware of who you are, at least until we can be sure that she is who she says she is. I doubt it very much, but she could still turn out to be a spy trying to gather information. Be it as it may, she is still your mate, but who knows what spells and Magic's have been cast on her and for all we know, our enemies have found a way to control her and turn her against you four. So be cautious of what you say in her presence," professor Pyrion warned the dragons. They all nodded their heads and followed Blaise as he stood up and lead the way back to their dwellings. Blaise reminding himself to warn Blair not to spill the beans; knowing that his sister would have figured out after today who Sammy was to him and his friends. He had a feeling she had suspected it all along, but he knew now that it was vital that Sammy never find out that she was his mate, or any of the others. He hated that he liked the girl so much already and refused to let her influence his emotions any more than was necessary to figure out who the hell she was. Besides, he had Penelope to think about, not that he put much stock in their relationship other than for the occasional fuck.
***
     "Are you guys crazy or just out of your minds? Sammy is your mate you can't just not tell her the truth!" Blair cried out angrily as she glared at her brother and his friends several hours later after they had finished tucking their newfound mate into her bed upstairs and finished relating professor Pyrion's message to Blair. "Not to mention, how are you going to hide the fact that she's your mate from the rest of the school? Or do you just intend to avoid all contact? You know you can't refuse the bond! It will eat you apart from the inside if you try!"
      "We will be discrete, Blair! And so will you! We already have private training sessions with her as it is and we can just continue acting as normal. No one will suspect a thing!" Blaise argued back.
      "Oh, really? And how do you expect to explain what happened today? She manipulated all four elements! No dragon has ever had that ability before!"
      "Relax, Blair, no one at this school is smart enough to put the pieces together! We just say it was us losing control of our powers again and that's the end of that, no one but you will know it was her, so calm down and act your age for once!" Blaise growled, getting irritated with his sister and her questions.
      Blair humphed loudly but shrugged her shoulders in defeat, realizing her brother was probably right as he usually was. But she still felt sorry for her new friend and wished that they didn't have to withhold the truth. Being dragons, none of them could actually lie, but it wasn't as if their human-world friend would know what questions to ask to get them to tell the truth in the first place, so there wasn't any chance of getting caught at the moment. Blair sighed sadly as she shook her head in disappointment and stormed off to her dorm room, not wanting to think about how complicated their lives had just become any longer.

Author's Note

Let me know what you think of this latest chapter! I am planning to add some more scenes/detail in the final version of my book when I'm closer to being ready to self publish so any recommendations on things you want to see are welcome so that I can better write a book that you all will want to purchase eventually! Lol