[13] THE EIGHTH BIRTHSTONE

❝ I COULD FEEL THE TENSIONWE COULD CUT IT WITH A KNIFEI KNOW IT'S MORE THAN JUST A FRIENDSHIP ❞- Japan, Shawn Mendes

I COULD FEEL THE TENSION
WE COULD CUT IT WITH A KNIFE
I KNOW IT'S MORE THAN JUST A FRIENDSHIP
- Japan, Shawn Mendes

There was a dark silence that shrouded the Jewellers' main base, thrusting it's inhabitants into a wary and nervous mindset. Even as Hiro, Kei and Nene sat inside Hiro's awfully large bedroom playing cards, they couldn't shake off the blackness infecting their souls at the very minute.

Hiro was sitting on on his bed cross-legged, the teenager analysing his cards with a malicious intent. His stormy eyes swept through the numbers, cold and calculating in their glare as his mind hurled one thought after another in order to win the game. His white hair was unkempt, likely because Nene had been running her fingers through it for a couple of minutes and ruffling it for fun. He tore his eyes off his cards for a split-second and looked around.

Sunlight sifted through the darkness of the room and through the open windows, pushing past the chintzy amber curtains and resting on the prismatic carpet. The sky was a tinted yellow, with the opalescent sun floating ominously over the guarded city. Mellow clouds were flecked every now and then, painting a sunrise few could describe.

Kei let out a loud sigh, his beige eyes fixed on the cards held in his pale hands but his mind somewhere else. His thoughts drifted as they normally did, carrying him everywhere they went. He pushed a few strands of ebony hair out of his face, thinking about the events that had unfolded earlier that haunting morning.

It was Nene who broke the silence, her eyes darting about warily as she tucked a strand of her long hair behind her ear, "Kei, got any twos?"

"Go fish," Kei muttered, his mind on something else.

Hiro was bending the corners of his cards as he spoke with curiosity, "Did you two hear what happened this morning? I was out with an informant so I didn't find out."

Kei and Nene exchanged a pair of looks that sent a shiver down Hiro's spine. Hiro narrowed his eyes, "No wonder everyone looks like their dog died, something bad must have happened."

Kei opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out as his throat swelled. He closed his mouth and pursed his lips, an uncomfortable looming feeling in his stomach. I don't think words can describe whatever happened.

"Mina kidnapped a Port Mafia Executive, some kid called Dazai Osamu," Nene began quietly, twirling her black hair in discomfort. Her eyes were fixed on the carpet, somehow her vision darkening to the point where she fell into the pit of prismatic colours. "She was trying to get information out of him but I guess she said some trigger words for... for her. And then... we heard the screaming and came in and found Mina unconscious and her looking like she was about to kill."