BIRTHSTONES ― Character Study

NOTE: This is largely revamped from the original edition in March 2020. Character backgrounds may have been significantly altered etc. All character art was made by me on Picrew!

[ noun: a gemstone popularly associated with the month or astrological sign of a person's birth ]

ARATO.

Arato Hisako was the First Birthstone

Arato Hisako was the First Birthstone. He was Father's right hand in battle, his most trusted accomplice and while he didn't agree with the apocalyptic ramblings of his leader, he still stuck by him out of what he owed. Arato was only 27 when he died, struck down at the hands of Kōyō Ozaki and her squadron at the very first attack that sparked all of this. He was young, yet his violet eyes said otherwise, dulled like the blade he carried with him. His hair was black like the ebony feathers a crow would ruffle, shining even in the darkness of the night. With both parents dead thanks to an on-the-run serial killer, 16 year-old Arato joined the Jewellers to catch his parents' killers and end them. But when the time came and Kufa Miyamoto handed him the blade to commit the deed with, the innocent child's hands trembled with morality and goodness, and so Kufa did it instead. Arato stayed with Kufa till the end, proof of his undying loyalty to the place he was calling home.

SASUME.

A woman who earned herself a place by Arato's side as the Second Birthstone

A woman who earned herself a place by Arato's side as the Second Birthstone. Sasume was a pretty name for a pretty girl. The woman was the oldest of the Birthstones, there even before Kufa's reign. She had joined at the youthful age of 12, coerced into using her powerful Ability for evil by some very dangerous men and before she knew it, she fell into the pit of darkness and never climbed out. Little is known about the reclusive woman who ended marrying Arato. Her hair could be described as the brightest red one had ever seen, so luscious in nature that it made every person swoon over it's prismatic colour. Even her eyes, green like tall grass in summer, captured the attention of many. Her death at the hands of the Port Mafia was untimely and her sister, Rin, who collected her body for burial, shed tears like diamonds at her funeral.