i'm going through withdrawls

thank you so much for 700+ reads and 100 votes, i love u guys <3

going to try to update more frequently to make this story easier to read. sorry for the wait! i've been dealing with a lot of personal stuff & need to manage my time better lmaoo

•••

Darryl

"No way, Zak. We can't just show up at the bank and rob the place. I want to be prepared for the worst," Darryl grabs Zak's hand, pulling him away from the door that he was heading towards. He hadn't bothered to scan over the rest of the list just yet.

"Trust me," Zak raised an eyebrow. "You'll never be prepared. Why do you think my kidnapper decided to send me here after all this time? I'll give you a hint; it wasn't because I was successful. You are the one who would do anything for me, and he knew that I needed help if I was going to get away with this."

"Fine, but can we at least wait until it gets dark out? We can go right before they lock up; that way, there's less of a chance of anyone getting hurt."

Zak nods. "Of course; you're in charge," He glances towards his closed bedroom door. "Can I..?"

"Yeah, it's your room," Darryl answers. "Go ahead."

Darryl couldn't help but stare as his long-lost best friend wandered over to his old room, listening intently as the doorknob creaked, just as Darryl had done when he had entered earlier. Light from the windows in Zak's room flooded the hallway in which they had been standing, creating a shadow behind Darryl that was double the size of his body.

Although he wanted to follow him inside, Darryl knew that it wasn't the best idea. Zak's room always made him feel uncomfortable; as if he wasn't in the right state of mind. Reality felt altered in there, and those white walls weren't worth it.

Zak returned to the hallway shortly after going in his room, a sad expression plastered across his face. "You kept it the same for me," he says, his voice almost in a whisper.

"I wanted you to feel comfortable when you returned."

He threw his arms around Darryl, taking him by surprise. The hug was more gratitude than Darryl had expected for something as simple as a room, but a small smile was brought to his face in the knowledge that Zak was the slightest bit happier.

Zak was never this much of a hugger before. But... I suppose he's been through a lot. And I can't say I don't like it, either.

Zak's previous words drifted back into Darryl's mind.

He said, "Maybe you can show me how to love."

His heart felt heavy as he gently pushed himself off of Zak, wiping a sentimental tear from the boy's cheek. Darryl wasn't ready to rush into a relationship with Zak, and he wanted to make it explicitly clear. After three months of almost complete isolation, Darryl wasn't even sure he could hold a steady conversation with his friend. He couldn't handle much more of anything else.

Seemingly understanding the message, Zak steps away. He briefly shuts his eyes as Darryl's hand brushes against his skin, leaning into his touch.

I can't even imagine how hard it must have been for him to be held captive for so long. Even something as simple as a hug, he was probably deprived of it.