Chapter 17

"They cry in the dark, so you can't see their tears; hey hide in the light, so you can't see their fears. Forgive and forget all the while: love and pain become one and the same in the eyes of a wounded child." ~Pat Benatar

Having the remainder of the day off served to be a major blessing for the two of you, because you spent it laying in bed just talking, occasionally kissing. The two of you conversed for so long that when the sun began to set, neither of you noticed until you had started to drift off with your head on Spencer's chest. Your eyelids drooped as if they were being weighed down by twelve-ton weights and it took everything in you to fight sleep long enough to tell Spencer that it was not only alright, but welcomed, that he stay with you that evening.

At first, he didn't know if he should, but when you snuggled closer to him, huffing out of your nose in finality, he knew that he not only wanted to stay, but he also didn't have much of a choice. You had fallen asleep, and who was he to wake you up? You looked so peaceful and content, which was in stark contrast to how you had been sleeping while the team had been investigating the shooting of your sister. With a gentle smile, he pulled the covers up and pressed a lingering kiss to the plain of your forehead; his smile grew when he saw a grin toying at your lips. Then, Spencer closed his eyes and allowed sleep to take him, too, his subconscious sauntering aimlessly into a dream.

...

The next morning, you woke up alone, but not alone without an explanation; the other genius had left you a note explaining his departure; you chuffed quietly, finding it amusing that he assumed you would think he just hit you and quit you. You were a profiler, sure, officially, you were new at it, but unofficially, you had been one your whole life. You figured Spencer would leave before you woke up, neither of you would want raised eyebrows and questions about why you may have arrived at work at the same time, or why Spencer was still in the clothes he had worn the day before. Although, you personally didn't mind if people knew that there was something going on between you two--if there was something going on--you knew that Reid was a private person and you were going to respect that.

You set down the slip of hotel stationary before getting out of bed and walking to the bathroom, yawning and running your fingers through your tangled-from-sex hair; a small part of you was disappointed that Spencer didn't use his full knowledge of you and pull it during your... intense interaction, but the rest of you was hoping that maybe hi. yanking on your hair was just waiting for you in the future. You found the anticipation of it to be almost as erotic as the action.

After checking the time, you saw that you had to be at the BAU in two hours, so you hopped in the shower and quickly got dressed, since you wanted to stop in at a coffee shop on the way to work. As you walked, you pulled out your phone and called Garcia, "Hey, I have a question."

"Hit me."

You grinned, "How do you, Emily, and JJ take your coffee."

"You are an actual angel."

...

The moment you got inside the building you knew something was off, you kept your eyes down as you moved through the halls silently. When you stepped into the BAU, your eyes landed on Penelope and you quickly went to her side, "What's going on?"

You asked in a hushed voice, she grabbed your arm and lead you off quickly, "We'll talk in my office."

You nodded and let her tow you off, once the two of you were in her office you handed her the coffee you had gotten for her; she planted a platonic kiss on your cheek before speaking, "So, apparently, Interpol needs our help looking into a string of terrorist attacks linked to what could possibly be a threat from a very prolific serial killer in Italy."

Your eyes widened, "What's the target?"

Garcia sucked in a breath through her teeth, "They aren't completely sure, the only thing is that they need us."

You nodded slowly, then ran your fingers through your hair; the gears in your head had already begun turning, but you didn't have enough information for your brain to be of much use. Why is it that in this line of work, if something good happens a terrible happenstance almost immediately follows?

((If you enjoy my writing, please consider donating to my Ko-fi and sharing! I really appreciate the ongoing support <3

https://ko-fi.com/etherealblxssxm ))