Chapter IX - The Chuunin Exam Begins

Naruto and Sakura flipped their shit when Kakashi came to tell them he’d nominated us for the Chuunin Exams. I’d already talked to the Hokage, I’d be participating alone.

“Generally, the Chuunin Exam is completed in groups of three. But since there are four of you, one will be unable to participate with the other three. (Y/N), you will not participate with the team, I’m sorry.” Kakash didn’t even know. I’d tell him later.

“WHAT!?” Naruto flipped… Again. “You can’t just kick (Y/N) out of the team! It’ll… It’ll throw us off!”

“Naruto. Calm down. I will have my opportunity. You three do your best.” I looked at Kakashi briefly, silently telling him that I needed to tell him something. “I’ll be off then. Have fun. Stay safe, and win.”

I walked off into the village. Hearing  poof behind me, I knew that Kakashi had followed me.

“You needed to speak with me?” Kakashi had his usual, lazy drawl.

“Yes. I have already talked to the Hokage, and have special permittance to participate in the Chuunin Exams alone. Don’t tell the others, they’ll know when the exam comes.”

Kakashi looked baffled as I turned away and began walking toward my apartment.

“And you hadn’t thought to tell me this prior?” Kakashi continued following.

“No. As the legal guardian of myself and Madeleine, I had figured the Lord Hokage would have informed you. Though I suppose it was also my own responsibility. Either way, it is done, and I will complete the exam alone.” Kakashi stopped, then poofed off.

Arriving at my apartment, I saw Madeleine jumping at the window. I opened the door, and she came running over to me.

“Onii-chan, Onii-chan! We were learning about our chakra today. I made fire!” Madeleine continued to chatter about her day, and I let a small smile slip by as I listened.

“Would you like to know something else that’s exciting?” Madeleine quieted, her eyes wide as she vigorously nodded. “I’m going to be participating in the Chuunin Exams soon. But because there can only be groups of three, I got special permission from the Hokage to do it alone. But you can’t tell anyone. It is going to be a surprise for them.”

Maddie just got more excited, and started giggling uncontrollably. There was suddenly a knock at the door. Naruto, Shikamaru, Choji, Ino, Kiba, Sakura, and Shino stood there, most with smiles, Shikamaru looked mildly annoyed, and Shino’s face was mostly concealed, as per usual.

“Hey, (Y/N)!” Naruto got really close to my face. “We’re going out to the nearby barbeque buffet to celebrate us getting into the Chuunin Exam! I know you aren’t doing it, but you still deserve it, so do you want to come?”

“Wait,” Shkamaru stopped Naruto’s rant. “(Y/N) isn’t participating? Why not?”

“It is correct that I will not get to experience the Exam with my team, as only teams of three are permitted. But sure, it would be nice to get myself and Madeleine out of the house for once. But we seem to be missing someone. Where is Hinata?” 

Everyone looked around, and realized she wasn’t here. We set out towards her family’s home, and I knocked on the door. A young male, about a year or so older than those in my group, opened the door. He looked quite a bit like Hinata. They are likely related.

“Good evening,” I bowed respectfully in greeting. “I am (Y/N) (L/N), my group and I are classmates of Hinata’s. Is she here? We are going to the barbeque buffet to celebrate those of us who are participating in the Chuunin Exam.”