Chapter 31

Douglas sat by the kitchen table, and his gaze wandered the room as if he was searching for something.

Skyler smiled at him before he put another California roll inside his mouth. He chewed and swallowed the food. Douglas hadn't been exaggerating when he praised the sushi restaurant when he first got there. It really was delicious.

"They're not here now," Skyler told and took another roll in his mouth.

Douglas flinched and looked at him, a red blush formed on his cheeks.

"I was that obvious?"

Skyler nodded and drank some water.

"Yepp."

Douglas returned Skyler's smile and put down his chopsticks.

"So, where are your spirits now?" Douglas asked, and he sounded curious.

"Do you wanna take a look?"

Douglas nodded eagerly and got up from the chair. Skyler followed the man out from the kitchen and almost bumped into the shorter man's back.

Douglas had stopped just outside the doorway, and Skyler peeped down on him. The dark-haired man's eyes were huge, and his mouth was wide open. He was stunned by what he saw.

Skyler looked up, and in an instant, he figured out what the man witnessed that had surprised him so much. The spirits were walking up and down the stairs with moving boxes and other things. Douglas couldn't see the spirits, so he only saw things that floated through the air. It must have looked pretty extraordinary, and Skyler wished he could see what Douglas did, if only for a second.

"I noticed this before when I first got here, but are you moving?" Douglas asked when he got himself together and looked at Skyler, as the boy went back to the kitchen.

"I know I won't be able to stay here for much longer, and I have my own apartment, so I'm actually moving today. Coffee?" Skyler stood by the coffee machine and held two cups in his hands, looking questingly at Douglas, who had followed him back into the kitchen.

"Yes, thank you. So, where is this apartment?"

"In Dorsley, just by the University," Skyler answered and poured the coffee, hot steam rose from the cups.

He handed one to Douglas and sat down again at the table, and the lawyer did the same.

"Dorsley is a nice neighborhood, even if there is a lot of college kids that live in student dorms."

Skyler siped on the coffee and nodded.

"My foster parents bought the apartment for me so I could move in when I started studying at the university."

"That was nice of them," Douglas said with a kind smile.

Skyler just nodded. He felt a bit uncomfortable talking about Neil and Diana, so he quickly changed the subject and cleared his throat, starting to feel nervous.

"I wanted to talk to you about something. Could you please hear me out before you decide on anything?"

Douglas frowned, startled by the suddenly serious ton in Skyler's voice. But he nodded and leaned back against the chair, arms crossed over his chest.

"Of course. What's the matter?"

"The childcare service called me yesterday. Because I am still underage, I need a legal guardian, but the problem is that I don't have any relatives. I never got to know my foster parents, family, or friends, so I don't know any adult. But now I know you, and I wonder if you would be able to act as my legal guardian until I turn eighteen."