Chapter 34

Skyler and Josh arrived at the hospital almost at the same time as Douglas. Skyler was sitting down in the waiting room while Josh took a number when Douglas rushed in through the doors, noticing Skyler at once. Like all the people that saw the boy with the blood all over him, Douglas became pale and gasped.

He ran up to Skyler and got down on his knees in front of the surprised boy. His eyes dark-brown were full of worry.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm better," Skyler replied and took his hand off his nose. "The blood has stopped."

"What happened? Did someone hit you?"

Skyler explained everything, and when he was finished, Josh was walking towards them, looking confused at the kneeling older man in an expensive dark suit.

Douglas stood up and brushed off his clothes with his hands.

"Josh, this is Douglas Baker. My friend and legal guardian. Douglas, this is my friend from school and fellow bandmember, Josh Cole."

Douglas and Josh shook hands, and Josh gave Skyler the queue ticket.

"It's only two numbers before it is your turn," Josh said and looked at Skyler with concern. 

"Do you want some water?"

Skyler nodded, and Josh went off again to find a vending machine. Skyler tasted blood in his mouth, and everything smelled like blood as well. It was disgusting, so he was grateful that Josh offered him to buy something to drink.

Douglas was about to say something when Skyler's number came up, and he slowly got up from his seat. Douglas walked close behind him, as Skyler got to the reception desk.

If the receptionist was startled by his appearance, the woman didn't show it. She only asked for his ID. Skyler took out his wallet and gave her the driver's license; then, the woman turned to Douglas.

"Are you a family member?"

"Yes, I am Skyler's legal guardian."

The woman typed something on her computer and pointed to the door close by.

"I will go and get a doctor at once; you just wait by the door."

Skyler nodded and turned around and started to walk to the door.

Josh came up to them, in his hands he had two bottles of water, he gave them to Douglas, who thanked him.

"Are you going to see a doctor now?" Josh asked.

"Yeah, how much do I owe you?"

"Nothing, but do you want me to go with you?" Josh glanced at Douglas, feeling unsure if he should leave his friend with this grown man he didn't know, or never even heard about.

Josh knew nothing about Skyler's personal life even though they had known each other for a while now. Skyler had always been pretty secretive about stuff like that. Josh thought about what Skyler had said about him having feelings for another guy; perhaps it was this man. But it didn't make any sense. This guy was a lot older than them, and he looked like a proper adult, not someone Skyler would get together with. Josh felt pretty confused by it.

"It's okay, Josh, you can go back to school. I bet Nasrin and Danny are worried sick by now. I call you later."

Josh felt reluctant about leaving, but he nodded and turned to Douglas.

"Nice meeting you."

He then said goodbye to Skyler and walked away.

"He seems like a nice guy," Douglas said and looked at Skyler.

"Yeah, he is."

The door opened, and a man dressed in blue scrubs walked up to them. He was almost as tall as Skyler, and he had dark brown hair and hazel brown eyes.

"Skyler?"

The boy nodded, and the man smiled in a friendly way.

"Great, I'm doctor Kiriakidis. Please follow me," The thirty-something man started walking, and Skyler and Douglas wandered after him.

Sergio and Grayson were close behind them, and Skyler could hear Sergio explain, in a low voice, what had happened with Douglas. Thankfully, Sergio didn't say anything about Douglas kissing his forehead. Because now really wasn't time for that.