Heartbreak (2)

It was the Wednesday after the Hogsmeade trip, and I had found out through the school's grapevine that Draco had started going out with Pansy Parkinson. I hated her. She took every opportunity she could to push me over in the halls. She's the reason why my insecurities are higher. Now, after everyone found out about Ron and Lavender, she's been repeatedly calling me fat and ugly every chance she's got. I know Draco can't help me out. No one knows we're friends, we have to keep pretending we hate each other.

I was walking down the corridor with Hermione and Dean to Charms, when someone called out to us.

"Hey, look who it is. The little Gryffin-baby and the Mudbloods."

Parkinson was leaning up against the wall with Zabini, Crabbe, Goyle, and, of course, Draco.

"Come on, guys. She's just looking for attention." I said, not wanting to make a scene.

"How's Weasley doing. I bet Brown's doing a lot better than you were, Potter. Then again, she's better than you at everything, isn't she? I mean, who would want the stupid, fat, ugly, shy nobody, when they could have someone like her?"

I couldn't hold back my tears then. Dean stormed over to the Slytherins.

"That's enough, Parkinson! You've crossed the line!"

"What are you gonna do about it, Mudblood?"

I could tell that was Draco's voice, and my heart broke. I ran down the corridor with Hermione chasing after me.

———————————————
"'Mione, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure, what's up?"

"So I like this guy, and I know he likes me cause we went to Hogsmeade together and he asked me if he could kiss me."

"Ok, so what's the problem?"

"He started going out with someone else, and I hate the girl he's with. I still like him, but I'm annoyed, and I don't know what to do."

"Talk to him. He'll come around. If it's meant to be, it'll be."

"Thanks, 'Mione."

——————————————
I sat in the common room, staring at Draco's patrolling schedule. I had to go and see him tonight, but I didn't want to, especially after what he said to Dean. I reluctantly got up and walked to the Astronomy tower, getting there at exactly 9:30.

It was another half hour before he showed up. He got there, sat next to me, and we sat, not speaking to each other. After a while, I broke the silence.

"So... you and Parkinson, huh?"

"Well, yeah. I thought I'd give it a shot, ya know. See what.."

"I thought you hated her."

He looked at me, helpless. He knew I was right.

"I told you I didn't want you to use that word anymore."

"Gee, I'm sorry. I know they're your friends, but I can't go pretending that I like them for your sake. You know we have to pretend to hate each other."

"Maybe we just don't pretend anymore."

"What are you saying?"

"We go back to how it was before."

"Gee..."