0.1

Warning: sensitive material if you feel uncomfortable deal with it or stop reading.

"Hello Allie from suicide hotline." I spoke softly into the phone.

All I heard was a silence, and the sound of faint breathing.

"Are you thinking of hurting yourself or are you considering suicide?" I asked after a couple minutes of more silence.

Still nothing.

I waited a few more moments before placing the phone down on the receiver and letting out a sigh of frustration. That was the third silent call I had recieved today, not a single one of those callers had I been able to help. That's all I wanted to do help.

My best friend and I had both agreed to work for a suicide hotline this summer before college, both wanting to help people and keep ourselves occupied.

It did keep my mind occupied to say the least, more keeping my mind cluttered with possibilities and worry of what had happened or would happen to previous callers, or perhaps what they were thinking about at this current moment in time, or about their stories they had shared with me (none of which had been to emotional or serious so far). But no stories were shared in silent calls. Just an emptiness, it was beginning to frustrate me, I just wanted to help them and I couldn't unless they spoke to me. Maybe it was the comforting thought of knowing someone was there on the other end of the line, or they were too emotional to speak preventing them from talking, of course it was their choice to speak though and my job was not to pressure them into talking. I let out another sigh and left the small stuffy room.

"Another silent call?" My best friend, Michael, asked noticing my frustrated expression. I nodded my head and slumped into an arm chair in the coffee room, a few other employees were dotted around the room all having quiet conversations between themselves. Most of the people that worked here were around the retirement age, Michael and I were the youngest by quite a long way.

"I just feel so awful knowing I can't help them." I spoke quietly.

"Well, you can't always help everyone Al." Michael said patting back gently. "So anyway this Sunday, Calum invited me to this bonfire party thing he's having on the beach and I wondered if you'd like to come?" Calum was a good friend of both of us - a nice quiet guy.

"Well Brandon is supposed to be coming down from college then so I don't know...It depends if he wants to-" I stopped noticing Michael scrunching up his nose at the mention of my boyfriend of two years. "What? Why do you always have to make that face when I talk about him?"

"That guy has to be the most annoying prick on the planet."

"Michael, don't say that! You don't even know him that well and I'll have you know he's the perfect gentleman." I declared, swatting Michael's arm.

"I know a dick when I see one." Michael scoffed, getting up just as another phone rang. I rolled my eyes at him as he left to go and answer the call. Once again I was left with my own thoughts.

It was quite funny how both Michael and I had wanted to work for the local suicide hotline. He'd mentioned it first and I thought it would be a good idea considering Michael and I usually do nothing proactive during the summer. I also wanted to help people, talk to them, get them through whatever difficult time they were going through. However, I didn't realise how stressful this job could be. I hadn't had any calls from people wanting to take their lives yet and I was worried that I would crack the minute they told me they were going to or thinking of committing. Sometimes a phone call just isn't enough.

___

So here's the first chapter, hope you guys like it and I hope its okayish? But yeah um I don't really know what to put so...I'm excited about this book though I have so many ideas for it tbh and I'll try and do daily updates and what not :-)

Ok bye x

Important: I'm editing the book and changing a lot of things so hopefully it should be easier to follow. I've also unpublished the rest of the book and stuff so yeah :)