Chapter twelve -- Ben's P.O.V.

As soon as he stepped out of the cab, he spotted her – she was trudging through the automatic doors of the hotel entrance, with her makeup smudged, deep circles under her eyes and her hair all mussed up. Even her clothes looked ragged.

It was clear she’d completely fallen apart. Thank god he’d taken the leap and booked that flight, no matter what it had cost him. Every cent had been worth it.

“Hailey,” he called. “Hey, Hailey.”

“Oh shit. What now?” She called back irritably, lifting a hand to shield her face and starting to hurry away. But when she caught sight of him, she stopped dead. “Ben? Ben, what are you doing here?”

They stared at each other for a second, neither of them moving.

Then he opened his arms and she ran into them. Suddenly her mussed-up hair was tickling his chin and she was clutching his shirtfront with both hands. He’d never had a girl cling to him like this, like he almost couldn’t hold her tight enough. Was she really shaking? The poor thing. She’d probably never been so happy and relieved to see someone in her entire life.

Over the top of her head, he could see how a few other tourists had stopped to gawk. “It’s okay. I’m here now,” he told her, ignoring them.

“I’m so glad,” she said, face pressed against his shirt. “Oh my god. It’s been hell, Ben.”

“Shhh. You don’t have to worry about anything anymore. Everything’s okay now.”

“You’re really here?” Her smile was shy as she blinked up at him. “You really came to rescue me?”

“I guess I did. After I saw that news story, I knew I had to. So I just bought a ticket and hopped a flight, and now—”

“Wait, so are we still broken up?”

“Of course not. Why would we be broken up?”

“But… you told me you needed to be by yourself. And that you’d met someone.”

He laughed a little. She’d always been pretty anxious; only now it really showed. “I guess I didn’t realize that you were so in love with me or that you’d take those texts so seriously. You kind of went off the deep end, didn’t you?”

She was shaking her head. “I’m so sorry, Ben. But listen, I can make it up to you. If we’re back together now, I promise I’ll be way more supportive.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Like, that money you owe me? We can forget all about it. You don’t have to get a job to pay me back. That was a ridiculous idea and I should never have suggested it. You just concentrate on your art, okay? That’s all I want.”

“Sounds like a plan to me.” One arm still around her, he started to lead her inside the hotel.  

“You know that I think you’re such a brilliant filmmaker, don’t you?”

“Thanks, sweetheart. But hey, we don’t have to work every little detail out now,” he said. He could afford to be benevolent now. “We’ll just finish up our little vacation here first, huh?”

“Okay. Great.”

“By the way, I really wish you’d just taken me with you to begin with. I had to put this trip on my credit card. Now I’m completely maxed out.”

“Don’t worry.” She squeezed him. “I’ll take care of that too.”

“You’re the best.” He kissed her temple, whispered, “You know I love you,” and was starting to think about where they’d get lunch – restaurant or room service? – when the order page finished loading and his fantasy evaporated.