Chapter 2

I wasn't looking for love. That's what I told my friends during high school and I'd say it again. Besides, she found me. Not that her moving here was a bad thing; in fact, it was probably one of, if not the best, things to ever happen to me. She was magical, to say the least.

     The Nirchan family frequently moved, but God-knows-why to our subdivision. Later on, I'd find their motives for traversing to this particular subdivision on the eastern tip of Michigan important. Among them was Mr. and Mrs. Nirchan. They also had a daughter, who stopped me one day as I was shoveling snow out of the forest, a week after I'd discovered Excalibur and successfully hid it in my small closet upstairs.

        "Um, hey there." Startled, I fell backwards, only to see a girl my age  looking down at me and laughing. I must've looked stupid falling down, but I got up and mustered a "Hey, how's it going?".

      "Good, thanks. How are you?" She asked.

     "Pretty good, when I'm not falling down, that is," I joked. She laughed again at my remark. After that we stood there for a bit, and she bit her lip, then said something else.

     "Cold out here, isn't it?"

     "Yeah," I responded, "but it's deathly cold like it's been some years."

     "I'm not used to winters where I'm from," She responded, shivering as if on cue.

     "You'll get used to them," I reassured her. She seemed skeptical.

      "So where are you from?" I asked.

      "Well, my parents are from down south--"

     "Where are you from, though?" I interrupted. To this she blushed slightly and looked at the ground. I realized I'd reached an uncomfortable point of conversation for her.

     "Sorry," I apologized. She looked up at me.

     "It's alright, you didn't know that--"

     "Didn't know what? I eagerly interrupted her again. I quickly realized my mistake and blushed.

     "Sorry again," I started, "I was curious."

     "It's fine." She unexpectedly changed the subject. "You know, you're kinda cute when you're blushing-- scratch that, you're cute even when you're not." I blushed, and she moved in closer to me, till she was only about four inches away from me.

     "You know," I began, "you're real beautiful. I hate asking so soon...but would you--" Inches by inches she had gotten closer to my face, and now she answered my question with a kiss. She pulled away about ten seconds later.

     "My name's Molly Nirchan. Consider me your new girlfriend. I live two houses down, mine's the blue house on the right." She smiled. I smiled back.

     "Guess that makes me your boyfriend. Remin Austerman's my name." We talked some more, exchanged phone numbers, then kissed again before Molly had to leave. She had curly blonde hair and sea green eyes. She seemed to be around 5"9. I had straight brown hair and dark brown eyes; I was 5"10. We certainly didn't look like the perfect pair, I thought as I continued shoveling snow out of the forest. That day I left without retrieving my paycheck from old Mr. Harjab from the community. I'd already gotten it.