Chapter 1

Lindsey's P.O.V. ~

I walk down the stairs of the house that I live in with my twin sister, Sidney, and my father. My mother was killed almost a year ago at the hands of a guy by the name of Cotton Weary. Well my sister and I were both home, but she said she ID'd Cotton. I said it looked like someone else. No one believed me though since Sidney ID'd him.

My father is away on a business trip for the rest of the week, and would be home on Sunday but we're going to stay at our best friend Tatum's house. I walk into the kitchen to see my sister sitting at the table.

"Sid, we gotta go or we'll miss the bus." I say, catching her attention.

She looks up at me before quickly putting her bowl into the sink. She grabs her bag and we run out of the house, catching the bus just in time. About 20 minutes later, we get off the bus to something that seems oddly familiar. There's six police cars and four new vans around the campus. Sid and I look at each other.

This feels too much like mom. We start walking toward the school when Tatum runs over to us.

"Do you believe this shit?" She says.

"What happened?" Sidney asks, curiously.

"Oh God! You guys don't know?" We both shake our heads. "Casey Becker and Steve Orth were killed last night."

My eyes widen. Killed?

"No way!" I say, shocked.

"Not just killed, Linds. We're talkin' splatter movie killed - split open, end to end." She says, making hand gestures.

"Casey Becker? She sits next to me in English." Sidney says, realizing who Tatum was talking about.

" Sidney says, realizing who Tatum was talking about

"Not anymore. Her parents found her hanging from a tree. Her insides on the outside." Tatum explains.

"Do they know who did it?" I ask, biting my lip.

"Fucking clueless - they're interrogating the entire school! Teachers, students, staff, janitors..." Tatum says.

"They think it's school-related?" I ask, confused.

"They don't know. Dewey said this is the worst crime they've ever seen. Even worse than..." Tatum stops. "Well, it's bad. They're bringing in the feds. This is big!"

I look away slightly. It's bigger than my moms murder. A few classes go by and I'm sitting in my Math class, watching the teacher do a math problem on the board when a boy walks into the classroom. He hands the teacher a paper before walking out. The teacher looks at the paper before turning around.

"Lindsey? It's your turn."

I nod and stand up, grabbing my stuff. I walk to the principal's office and knock on his door. One of the cops opens the door, letting me in. I walk over and sit down. Sheriff Burke is the first to speak.