Chapter 6: Behind the Mask

After a long night of searching for answers, Katherine decides to take a break and goes to a nightclub to a enjoy herself and wallow in herself.

But it wasn't all bad, while she was there, she met a very nice woman named Renee Montoya.

Who she was not only talking to right now but was also gradually lifting the female vigilante's spirits.

"God, I haven't laugh like that in so long." Katherine said once she finally stopped laughing at a joke that Renee told.

"I've noticed you were pretty miserable when you came in." Renee said.

"One of those days?" she asked before she took a sip from her bottle.

"One of those lives." Katherine answered.

Renee was about to say something, but this rude party girl roughly bumps into her. And stead of apologizing she paid her no mind and ordered two drinks.

Turning to looked at the scantily dressed party girl, she grits her teeth in annoyance at how rude she was.

"Excuse me." She said peeved.

As Katherine takes a sip of her drink, she catches something sticking out of Renee's jacket at the corner of her eye and looks down to see that it's a gun.

She frowns at the gun as she was hoping that Renee is a cop and not some thug that she'll have to deal with latter.

"So, you're a cop?" she asked hoping that she's right.

Renee looks at her surprised before she realized that her gun is out. "A detective." She answered and covers her gun with her jacket.

"You have a problem with that?" she asked.

The female vigilante mentally sighs in relief and replied, "No, not at all. You just don't look the part."

Renee chuckles "What's a cop supposed to look like?" she asked.

Without even thinking Katherine replied with, "Not as hot as you."

It only took a second for the red-haired woman to realized what she said, and she instantly regretted it.

"Did I just say that out loud?" she asked hoping that she was just imaging things.

"Uh...yeah, you did. You're good."

Katherine smiles at the compliment "Actually, I'm terrible. I haven't dated in over a year and I..."

Before she could finish her phone, starts setting of its ringtone that tells her that she a message.

Opening her phone and looked up her message she realized that the number that contacted her was unknown and only said. 'Rooftop. Across the street.'

She looks at the text confused before she looks up through the glass roof and saw the silhouette of the bat.

What is he doing here? And how did he find her for that matter?

"Something wrong?" Renee asked.

"What no." Katherine replied and looks down at her lap in disappointment that she has cut her time with Renee short.

"Look, I do have to go, but..." she goes into her pocket to take out her card and sets it on the table.

"Can I give you my card. Call me."

"Yeah, right." Renee said thinking that Katherine is saying another pickup line.

"That's not a line Renee. I like you; I really do. But something's come up." She explained.