A Date?

I woke up to my phone buzzing. I groggily
searched for it on my night stand. I felt my
iPhone and answered the call. "Hello?"

"Hey Nelly," said Skimbleshanks.

I opened my eyes wide. "Oh, hi Skimbleshanks."

"I just wanted to know if you wanted to go to the fair with me today? I can pick you up at 11."

I blushed, "Sure! I'd love that."

"Okay, I'll see you then. Bye"

"Bye." I hung up the call and sighed. "I can't believe my crush asked me out on a date." I stood up and stretched. I walked to the bathroom and turned on the shower.

"Nelly?"

"Yes, Jemima?"

"Who were you on the phone with?"

"Oh just Skimbleshanks."

She laughed, "What did he say?"

"He wants me to go to the fair with him."

"Maybe he wants to go to the tunnel of love with you," she teased. She grabbed her teddy bear plush and kissed it. "Oh Nelly will you be my mate?"

"Cut it out!," I said while playfully shoving her. "I left the water running. Let me take a shower real quick."

"Okay! I want to help you get ready."

I took a quick shower and put on my bathrobe. I walked back into my room I shared with Jemima. Jemima was my roommate. We attended Jellicle University together. "I'm here."

"What are you going to wear? You should totally wear that cute new mini dress you just bought and I can put flowers in your hair."

I nodded in agreement. "You're right! Let me go get it." I stepped into my walk in closet and took off the dress off the hanger. I looked through some shoe boxes and selected some matching Louboutin heels. I slipped into them quickly and walked over to my vanity.

"Wow, you look so cute! He's totally going to ask you to the Jellicle Ball. I can just feel it."

"Oh Jemima, we're not even mates yet. How about you and Munkustrap?"

She sighed, "I could never get with him. He's been class president for 3 straight years. He's so smart. He'd never look at me."

"You never know. How about Alanzo?"

"Leader of the football team! Are you serious?"

"Rum Tum Tugger?"

"Nelly, I'd rather date a dog. He always has a new mate like every week."

"That's for sure," I said as I brushed my fur. "I still can't believe I'm going out with Skimbleshanks tonight."

Jemima giggled, "I know! He's so cute. He has the most luxurious ginger fur."

I started daydreaming about Skimbleshanks.

"Nelly! Let me put these flowers in your ears."

I went back to reality. "Oh sorry!"

She smiled, "Okay, I'm done. Let's go to the dining hall for some breakfast."

"Aren't you getting dressed first?"

"Nah, It's not like I'd run into Munkustrap."

"Okay, let me just grab my purse and ID.

"Oh yeah! Me too."

I found my things and walked out the door. Jemima followed me. We walked out the dorm building and towards the dining hall.

"Omg, there's Alanzo. He's making a Tiktok with Rum Tum Tugger. How cringey!," she shuddered.

Rum Tum Tugger turned around mid renegade. "Did you say something Jemima?"

Jemima rolled her eyes. "Bye. Come on Nelly."

I walked behind Jemima and turned around. "Jemima, they're following us."

"Ugh! Stop it you creeps!," she yelled at them.

Alanzo laughed, "Chill Jemima. Hey Nelly, what's up?"

"Just the usual."

He smiled at me.

Rum Tum Tugger winked at me. "You look pretty cute today. Where are you going?"

"None of your business!," interrupted Jemima.

"I'm talking to her not you."

I nervously laughed, "I'm going to the fair with Skimbleshanks."

"How about you ditch him and go with me?," purred Rum Tum Tugger. "I'd give you a day to remember."

"No thanks, maybe some other time."

"Sounds fair. I'll be expecting a date with you soon then."

I smiled and ran towards the dining hall. Jemima ran behind me.

"Ew! Are you really going out with him?"

"Of course not!" I walked to the breakfast section. "Oh look there's chocolate pancakes."

Jemima grabbed three. "Omg I can't wait to stuff myself with these." She licked the syrup of one.

I served myself a chocolate pancake filled with strawberry jam when Jemima pulled me.

"There's Munkustrap! What's he doing here? Don't let him see me!"

I laughed, "Let's eat outside."

Jemima held her plate up and covered her head. "Do you think he saw me?"

"Nah, don't worry about it." I took a couple of bites out of my pancake. I was halfway done when I felt stuffed.

Jemima looked around nervously. "I don't want him to see me in my pajamas!"

"I told you to get dressed, but you were too lazy." I looked down at my apple watch. "It's almost 11. Let's go back to our dorm room."

"Okay! Hide me." She stood behind me.

I rolled my eyes and walked towards the building. I got to our room. "Okay, we're here."

Jemima used her key to open the door. "I think he's here."

I ran to look out the window. Skimbleshanks was sitting down in his red Corvette. "Okay! I have to go! Bye!," I said while hurriedly running out the door. As I was near the entrance I slowed down and walked out slowly.

Skimbleshanks saw me and stepped out of his car. "You look beautiful Nelly."

"Aw thanks. You look nice too!"

He stared at me for a while.

I squirmed under his gaze. "What's wrong?"

"Oh I'm sorry. You just look really nice. I couldn't stop staring at you."

I blushed. "Shouldn't we be going now?"

He opened the door for me.

I sat down and smiled. "Thanks."

"You're welcome Nelly."

He went over to the other side and sat down.

We looked at each other at the same time and turned around quickly.

Skimbleshanks was slightly sweating. "I think it's a little hot in here. Let me turn on the air."

I nodded and took out my phone. I saw a text from Jemima. She had sent a ginger cat and black cat holding hands emoji. I deleted it immediately. I put my phone back in my bag. "I'm glad we're hanging out."

"Me too!"

"This is our first time," I giggled.

"Yep."

I looked out the window and smiled. Today was absolutely a dream come true.