00

prologue

_____________________

"My name is Hope Mikaelson," the young girl affirmed to herself as she continued to wander her way through the void that was Malivore, wrapping her arms taught against her chest. "I am the daughter of Klaus Mikaelson, one of the first Original vampires and the Original Hybrid. I am the daughter of Hayley Marshall, a werewolf alpha of the Crescent Moon pack," she said, her voice quivering as the names of her parents rolled over her tongue. Her hands clenched tighter against her arms as the feeling of Malivore's vacancy began to seep inside her skin once more. Her voice barely escaped as a whisper as a tear began to trickle down her cheek, "I'm also the granddaughter of a powerful dark witch, making me the world's first and only Tribrid that nobody even remembers."

Time was null in Malivore. She didn't know how long it had been since she had flung herself into the Malivore pit in order to save her friends from the monsters that it spit out. She thought, as someone who was a combination of the three creatures that formed Malivore and were the only species it wasn't able to harm, that by diving into the pit that her presence would vanquish it. Given that she was stuck in a never-ending darkness of Malivore and not currently at Peace with her mother and father, her plan didn't exactly work.

The consequences of her decision had failed to cross her mind until after she had woken up against the endless cold, smooth ground with no one but herself. At first, she screamed out for anyone who could possibly hear her and searched tirelessly for any way out back to her home. The only response she ever got was from Malivore's persistent plague of a spawn Clarke, who she had dragged with her on her way down to her self-inflicted imprisonment, and a blinding vortex that every so often tried to suck her into undoubtedly further torture.

The only thing that kept her going was the thought of knowing her friends were safe and happy. It was the thought of her friends MG, Kaleb, Lizzie and Josie Saltzman and her now father-figure Alaric Saltzman all happy. The thought of her phoenix for a boyfriend, Landon, being happy, even if it was without her. That thought kept her sane and the only other form of peace she now seemed to have in this hell dimension was the separation she created after continuously spelling Clarke far away from her, but it was difficult to keep the void of Malivore out of her mind.

Hope wiped her cheeks as she continued her ritual to herself, her footsteps against the hard black floor being the sole response to her words, "I sacrificed myself because I am nature's loophole. I did this to save my friends. They are all happy and safe and the Salvatore School is protected. Everything is back in balance. They're all okay. My name is Hope Mikaelson. I'm the daughter of Klaus Mikaelson, one of the first Original vampires and-"

"First Original vampires and hybrid blah, blah, blah," Clarke moaned as the two came face to face in the darkened space once more. "How many more times are you going to keep saying that? No one else is here to hear it except for me and I've already heard this about a hundred times."

Her eyes narrowed as she forced a smile towards him, "Well, if it bothers you so much, then how about until the end of the eternity that we're stuck in here. Or maybe until that vortex or one of the monsters that's lingering somewhere inside here gets you. Whichever happens first."

A sly chuckle slipped from his lips as he looked down at the teenage tribrid in front of him. "I guess we'll just have to see."

The two continued their new routine with Hope spelling Clarke in the opposite direction of her before the two unfortunately found their way back in each other's presence. It wasn't long until Hope began to take notice of a certain pattern in their current residence. After yet another uncomfortable encounter with a few of Malivore's dwelling creatures, she relayed these thoughts to Clarke. How her presence in Malivore was toxic to the entity because she wasn't a fully-activated tribrid due to not having died yet to trigger her transformation into a vampire. How the vortex always seemed to appear following each time she performed a spell. How Clarke seemed to grab onto her every time it opened up and the vortex would then quickly close.