Part 17 "Date Night"

I undressed and took a shower. I had returned home from work a little bit early to get ready for my date with Jin tonight. I was looking forward seeing her again, I was curious how her life was after leaving the apartment.

Dan had told me that Jin now lived with her cousin who also worked in Makati, I was curious how this worked out for her.

I had made a reservation in the Firefly roof deck restaurant located at the 32nd floor of the City Garden Grand Hotel in Makati. It had done some research and saw pictures with an amazing view of the skyscrapers.

I left the apartment at 7.30 pm and arrived just 10 minutes later, I decided to wait for Jin in the lobby of the restaurant. She had texted me earlier notifying me that she was stuck in traffic and would probably be late by at least 20 minutes.

As I was waiting in the lobby I looked at myself in one of the mirrors on the wall. I looked better than a few weeks ago, less tired and I managed to lose some weight again. Although I must be honest it could have been the soft lightning in the lobby that made me look better on the other side of the mirror.

Jin arrived after 15 minutes, she looked great and greeted me with a hug and a great smile. "How are you stranger" she teasingly said! "Long time not see, how are you Stan?"

I smiled and said "Good to see you Jin!" as we made our way down to the roof deck. The incredible view of the city lights was breathtaking. Manila was moving rapidly 32 floors below us, we were high up in a classy restaurant ready for a view drinks and a good meal.

"How is life Jin? what's new in the last 2 weeks since you have left the apartment?" I asked.

Jin smiled and said "I am back into my family's export and import business as an accountant for 3 days a week and the other 2 days I focus on my singing career. My family finally decided that I can sing and now fully support me"

I was happy to hear that and asked what had changed her parents view point.

Jin said "This may sound strange but last week my parents received an invitation through the mail for a free meal and music gig. I have no idea how this happened, but they were invited to the venue I sing at. They heard me sing and saw how the audience responded to me. This is a very good thing that this happened, but I cannot explain how or who invited them to this venue"

"Coincidence?" I asked,

"Highly unlikely" Jin said and continued "Tell me about Jean and Daisy, I know they moved out on the same day".

I explained Jin what had happened with Jean's and Daisy's new job offers and how quiet the apartment had become with just me and Dan. Our communal dinners were now often take away meals and most of the time I had the apartment for myself.

My eyes locked with Jin's eyes for a second and we both smiled, it was a tender moment of two good friend who had not seen each other for a long time.

We continued our evening eating, drinking and talking. We talked about life, our childhoods, our dreams and fears. We really lifted our friendship to a new level and I cherished every minute in her company.

We had a final drink overlooking the city sights. The wind was blowing gently in our faces, it had been a good night. At 11.30 I said to Jin "It's getting late, can I order a grab for you".

Jin agreed, as we were making our way down Jin suddenly said "Stan, next weekend I am going with my cousin and her husband to Pagsanjan Falls, do you want to join us?"

I had no idea where this was, but I agreed straight away.

I gave Jin a hug as she boarded her Grab "We text about next week she said, bye now"

Given it was a beautiful night I decided to walk back to the apartment which I reached half an hour later. To my surprise Dan was home and had invited some of his friends over for a small party. "Stan, where were you!?"

I had a few drinks with Dan and his friends before crashing into my bed.