Prologue

Prologue

"May isusuot ka na sa Halloween party next week?"

Lito kong inangat ang tingin sa Editor-in-Chief. I frowned. I really need his input right now.

"Chief, focus." I tapped my pen on my manuscript and eyed him. "As if I plan to attend the party naked, right? That's not my scene."

"The rise of the Boring Cooper, everyone."

He reclined in his chair, his fingers gliding through the sleek low ponytail of his long hair.

Wala sa sarili kong sinundan ng tingin ang daliri niya. I always wondered what his hair products were.

My lips twitched at my scary thoughts. "It seems that you're rather invested in this party. I don't think I can share that excitement with you."

Tuwing may event, hindi na kami nilulubayan ng trabaho sa club. Lalong sumama ang timpla ko nang maalala na naman ang orientation, pati na rin ang homecoming nitong buwan lang din.

"Huh? Why not? It's going to be fun, Aggy!" eksaheradang ahon ng kausap sa pwesto. "It has to be! After all, our club has an exclusive pass. Make the most out of it and live a youthful life!"

Is it just me, or our Editor-in-Chief sounded like a boss handing me the company's card and telling me to use it however I like?

"We have an exclusive pass because we are doing a coverage, Chief," I reminded him of that part. "A work that runs from start to finish... at a party... that's supposed to be fun and academic-free."

"Then that makes it even more fun! We're authorized to butt in some groups of students to ask them whatever questions we want. Now's the chance to ask fun and academic-free questions to your crush, guys."

"That's precisely why the students are starting to avoid us. Our role is to cover the event and conduct interviews, Chief, not pester them."

Tinawanan niya ako. Ganon din ang ibang kasamahan namin sa club. Alam na alam nilang pinagdidiskitahan na naman ako ng walanghiyang Editor.

Believe me. He was more reasonable than this most of the time.

Tuluyan na kaming na-distract nang pumasok ang Club Adviser namin sa opisina. We discussed a few more things before the party next week.

Dahil Thursday na, wala na kaming oras para mag-meeting next week dahil may kanya-kanya rin kaming preparation per class.

Kaya naman kinabukasan, pagkatapos ng klase, dumiretso agad ako sa building ng mga 4th year para ituloy ang naudlot naming usapan ni Chief kahapon.

As I strode through the hallway of their building, I glanced at my neatly compiled manuscript.

Though not yet finished, it encompassed the synopsis, prologue, and the first five chapters of my novel, just as he had suggested when I asked his guidance for this favor.

Determinado akong makuha ang opinyon ni Chief tungkol dito. He is the most reliable source of criticism when it comes to this stuff. Bukod kasi sa posisyon niya sa club, hindi man halata, pero batikan din itong editor at manunulat sa isang malaking publishing house sa bansa.

Despite his playful personality and unorthodox way of doing things, I looked up to him a lot. He also inspired me to return to the world of creative writing after my 2-year hiatus.

"Aggy?"

Napahinto ako sa paglalakad nang marinig ang pamilyar na boses.

Pagkalingon ko sa gilid, natagpuan ko agad ang kaibigang si Farrah, may dalang supply box.