Chapter Seven

Wayne’s POV

I woke up with my head resting on a pillow and my body covered with a blanket. I sat up, still half asleep but aware of my surroundings. Stretching my arms, I looked around to find that I was alone.

“Tanya!” I called out her name but no one answered. Tanya wasn’t there anymore. She’d probably left while I was asleep.

I hadn’t even realized I had fallen asleep. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall to see that it was already nine o’clock. Tumayo ako mula sa couch. My brows furrowed when I saw a small stream of sunlight coming in through the slight parted thick curtain that was covering the floor to ceiling window. Fuck! It was already nine in the morning. I thought it was only nine in the evening.

I was about to get up when my phone buzzed. I reached for it on the side table next to the couch. It was from a girl I gave my number to at some club but I didn’t pay much attention to that. I scrolled through my unread messages and a smile crept on my lips when I saw her name.

Good morning, Wayne. Pasensya ka na hindi na ako nakapagpaalam sa’yo kagabi. Ayoko na gisingin ka dahil ang himbing na ng tulog mo.

I was never a big fan of texting so I decided to call her. After just a few rings she finally picked up the phone.

“Good morning, Tanya.” I said.

“Wayne! Good morning.” Her voice was a mixture of surprise and smile.

“Ano’ng oras ka umuwi kagabi?” I asked.

“Mag-aalas onse na.” She answered.

“Jesus, Tanya. Sobrang late na nun. Sana man lang ginising mo ako para naihatid kita sa sakayan.” I shook my head. Wala naman kasing dumadaan na jeep, taxi o kahit anong pampasaherong sasakyan dito. Everybody uses cars here. She’d have to walk a few blocks to get to the nearest bus stop. “You walked all the way to the bus stop?”

“Oo, hindi naman ganun kalayo.” Sagot niya.

“Madilim na sa labas ng ganong oras. Paano kung may nangyaring masama sa iyo?” My voice slightly raised.

“Okay naman ako. Nakauwi naman ako ng ligtas.” She said in a timid tone. And I scared her again. Great, just fucking great.

I sighed, trying to collect myself before I spoke in a gentle voice. “Just don’t do it again, okay?”

“Okay.” Sabi ni Tanya. “Um, Wayne, kailangan ko na pumasok. Baka malate pa ako sa klase.”

“Ano’ng oras ang huling klase mo?”

“Eleven-thirty. Isa lang kasi ang klase ko ngayon pero twelve to eight ang shift ko ngayon sa trabaho.”