Prologue

Emily's POV

My life has changed quite a lot over the past years. I used to have parents. I used to have a normal life. But that all changed that faithful night.

6 Years Ago

"Your dad and I are going to bed. Don't stay up too late," my mom said.

"Ok I won't. I'll just finish this show and then go to bed. Goodnight mom."

"Goodnight Emily," she said bending down to kiss my forehead, "I love you."

"I love you too," I said. Little did I know that it would be the last time I said it.

It was 10:17 pm on a Saturday. I was watching a "Totally Spies" episode on our old, tan sofa. I hated that thing. It was covered with stains ranging from food to who-knows-what from the years we've had it. Of course I was probably the one who made those stains, but hey, what could I do? I was only 10.

I was right in the middle of the episode when I heard screaming. It sounded like it was coming from upstairs from my parent's room. Being the curious person I am, I went upstairs to investigate. It took a little bit since we had a huge set of stairs. When I finally reached the hallway, I saw that the door to their room was shut. Something was wrong. They never close their door. I took a quick glance around the rest of the hall to see if anything else was different.

My room was right across from theirs with the door shut like usual. I kept it that way so my room would be cool whenever I went to bed. I remember how I used to have tons of stuffed animals and how everything was either pink or purple. I had hot pink walls, a fuchsia, furry rug, and a twin-sized bed with lavender, silk sheets and matching pillows. I'm such a girly-girl when it comes to that kind of stuff.

The room next to mine was a guest room that nobody really used. It was always clean and neat, but boring to me. White walls, brown furniture including a wardrobe and dresser, and a queen-sized bed with plain, white sheets. Simple, but too bland.

At the end of the hall was a master bathroom. It was mostly used by me since my parents had one in their room.

And last but not least, was my parent's room. It was the best room in the house. The place I always went to whenever I was too scared to sleep alone. I remember how I used to go to their room after a nightmare and they'd let me snuggle in between them. It had a nice, calm tone with it's soothing, sea-green walls, a king-sized bed with light blue sheets, and it always seemed bright and happy since they had their balcony doors open. Those were the good times.

When I reached their door, I quietly opened the door and decided to peek in rather than barge in. That moment has scarred me ever since. I saw my father on the floor next to the bed. His lifeless blue eyes staring through me and his light brown hair matted against his forehead. My eyes went to straight to the knife plunged in his stomach. There was blood everywhere.

I scanned the rest of the room for my mom. She was pinned down on the bed by a man strangling her. From what I could tell, he was very strong and looked to be in his late 30's with black hair that was starting to turn grey. My mother didn't have much time left. Her green eyes grew duller by the minute and her blonde hair was spread out in every direction. Her eyes landed on me. She mouthed for me to run as she took her last breath. I didn't want to but I had no choice. I was no match against that man.

I turned around to break into a sprint when something seized me by my arm. He yanked and picked me up while I was trying my best to kick him.

"LET ME GO!" I yelled, thrashing my arms and legs around, hoping to hit him.

"SHUTUP YOU LITTLE BRAT!" he yelled back. He was trying to take me outside but the balcony wasn't an option. He decided he was going to go downstairs but got a little surprise when he opened the door.

A woman, who looked like she was in her early 30's with a red pixie haircut, stormed in, kicked him in the gut, and punched him square in the jaw which made him lose his grip of me. I took this chance and ran straight to the closet. Now, I know what you're thinking. 'Why would she run to the closet?' 'Why didn't she just run out of the house?' I was panicking and found the closest place I could hide in.

I slammed the doors shut and slid down in the corner where I was partially hidden by the clothes. I just sat there and cried while that man and woman fought. I heard a loud thud against the wall and a groan from the woman.

"Damn it!" she yelled. I got up to peek through the cracks when all of a sudden the doors flew open. Surprised, I gasped and fell on my butt. She had a couple of bruises here and there and her lip was cut but other than that she looked fine. "It's ok sweetie. Don't be afraid," she said in a calm voice, "Are you ok?"

"Y-yea," I stuttered.

"Good. Don't worry, that horrible man is gone. I'm Christy. I'm here to help you. What's your name?"

"Emily," I said in a quiet voice.

"Well Emily, let's get out of here. I've got a lot to tell you."

"O-ok." She gave me her hand to help me up. I decided to trust her since she just saved my life. Together we walked out the front door and hopped into a silver, four- door van.

"When we get to HQ, I'll tell you everything I know," she said starting the engine. As the van started to pull away, I took one last glance out the window. That was the last time I saw that house.

******************************************
A/N:
The amazing cover was by -starshine. Thank you so much!