Writing all night

Jo's pov

I awoke to the to the sound of chirping birds. Great, my hands were covered in ink. I must've been up all night writing again. Mother would not be pleased. I went to the lavatory to wash my hands with a cloth, not being too careful. I decided to stop by Beth's room and check on her. I stood by her door. Her pale sickly figure being eaten alive by her bed. Her soul had been drained from her as if  never to return. Even when she was awake she refused to play the piano,  she had no energy and it was clear her time was coming. 

"Jo did you stay up writing again." I heard Beth croak. I hadn't noticed she woke up. "Oh please don't tell mother." I said apologetically. "Don't worry I won't tell mother, like Amy will." I could barely crack a smile seeing her in this state. 

I remembered our plans for today I was to go to a dance with my eldest sister. I quickly forgot about Beth and headed down to the living room. Meg sat upon our velvet hassak, she displayed her two dress options. Her hand brushed against the frills on the skirt and the purple jewels. "Jo your just the person I was looking for, you can have this green dress." I examined it, it would do the trick. It seemed suited for dancing. I grabbed it and went into the kitchen. My mother was not home she must have been talking with the neighbors. She was always out and about, she never met a person she didn't talk too.