05

TRIGGER WARNING

TRIGGER WARNING

Mention of a suicide attempt and suicidal thinking. Nothing graphic, but sensitive readers be warned.

If you're struggling with something like this, please I beg of you to talk to someone. I'm sure that you will be missed. 🖤

"You suck at this."

Chan scoffed, his breath coming out as mist in the cool air. "Please, your highness, showcase your expertise in stone-skipping because you are so knowledgeable about this fine sport."

Jinyu giggled at that after puffing out a cloud of smoke, forcing Chan to break into a small smile and attempt one last time; the stone skipping twice before it sank. "Boom. Now gimme."

Jinyu rolled her eyes with a sigh and shifted to the end of the bench to allow Chan to lay down with his head on her lap. She handed him the cigarette and ran her fingers through his hair as Chan turned to his side and closed his eyes momentarily with a sigh. "How did your reunion go?"

Chan took a slow drag, grabbing ahold of Jinyu's other hand that rested on his chest to play with the ring that was on it. "Good... guilt-filled, to be honest, but I'm satisfied. You?"

"Pretty much the same as yours, I guess," Jinyu lifted her head and looked ahead of her at the moon, around the same time Chan opened his eyes. Her aunt was probably wondering when she would be back home. "I don't like how quickly Yong is growing."

"Wait until he becomes a teenager— that's when they get bold," And they shared a loud laugh. "What are you doing this weekend?"

Jinyu pursed her lips in thought. "Yong has a soccer match tomorrow afternoon, church on Sunday morning and that's pretty much it."

Chan hummed, appreciating the beautiful view of the lit suspension bridge quite the walking distance away. Neither of them hesitated to enjoy and bask in the soundless noise — water running ever so softly in front of them, a couple of crickets vibrating a few feet away and the driving by of cars. "Save me a date, too."

Jinyu grinned. "How could I ever forget?"

-

Letting go of a father figure from your household may be one of two things; relief from having that toxic energy out or it could be an extremely unfortunate emotional loss.

For Chen, it had been a relief from a forced marriage, letting go of someone she thought that she was holding back, and taking a step back from an overall very unhealthy relationship. She always felt as if they did have to meet at some point in life to help or learn from each other and was satisfied with the outcome, but it was time to let go.

For Jinyu, it had been something she could never come to terms with; something that had taken a very long time to comprehend. She thought that her parents were soulmates, but obviously, things weren't as they seemed. She never wanted to have to see them separate.