Chapter 10. The Underworld

She now chuckled, seeing where Alfred was driving at, "I'm gonna be eighty someday."

"Well that's not today. Not now." Alfred affirmed. "Just make friends, join a club or something. Don't make TV presenters your friends!" He gestured his left hand to the TV.

"There are no clubs around here," she craned her head to the window, now having flashbacks the presence of the little or no gathering around town.

"Well that's what you get for moving us to the ends of the world." He rolled his eyes. Now wondering why he didn't get a say in picking a location.

Her lips quirked up, and she relaxed slightly.

"We needed a fresh start. Plus I love the peace and quiet around here... I've always loved places like this."

He sighed. Obviously feeling the need to waive the talk to avoid any arguments.

"What you need mother..." Alfred bored his eyes in hers.

She cringed at the sound of "mother". Now sensing that a lecture is about to start.

"...is company. Some real company." He finished.

Edith looked a bit surprised, as she pushed her head back, "well look who's the relationship expert. When was the last time you had a girlfriend?"

"Mom, that's different. I am different. That's not the case. The point is. You get a man. And quit watching TV all alone." He stood up, meaning his work there was done, and headed for the door.

Edith only sighed and kept her smile intact.

"I notice you like milk lately. Want me to re-stock that?" She playfully asked.

"Yes. You do that!" He confirmed with a smirk, as he opened and shut the door.

She made sure she trailed him until he rode his bike out of her sight.

*****

He was riding his bike as fast as he could, trying to catch up.

Joy rioted his shark gray eyes, like he hadn't been this free with nature in a long time. Actually, he had never. He was still getting used to the countryside.

The smell in the stinging air both revolting and smoky crashed against his face. There were dried tree barks, leaves and branches everywhere. A squirrel ran past as he rode, and just witnessing that felt pretty exciting. He had already ventured deeper into the shallow forest, looking at the old oak tree from afar.

He caught a glimpse of the twins and called out,"hey, wait up!"

They heard, and slowed down their bikes. The rustling of leaves and crunching of branches rose and fell momentarily. Alfred sensed the change of subject as he approached them.

"Glad you made it mate," Clifford said, his hands steady on the handlebar.

"Oh, Alfred," Claire said in a tone of musing surprise.

"Claire," Alfred almost lost balance, meeting her gaze with a short smile.

They all continued pedaling, swimming in whistles and rustles of mother nature. None of them felt the need to break the silence, their energy and strength were focused on their pedals. The closer they got to the oak tree, the more they saw the sunlight fade off.

"It's about goddamn time!" Jordan yelled as soon as they approached. He absently stumped his foot to squash an invisible bug and got back on his bike.

"Why so cranky, yankee? Besides, it was Alfred who delayed us," Clifford said jerking his eye behind him.