Chapter 13. The Lost Kids II

They made their way out of the hall, and into a calm and shallow forest, with loads of fruit trees and crops.

The view was unexpectedly mind-blowing. How they kept discovering new places when the last time they checked, they were in an abandoned mansion, was still surreal to them.

There were lanky banana trees ahead, a couple of tall mango trees, some ridges of pineapples and berry bushes too. Some parts of this open space also presented itself as a garden, as there were some hibiscus, lilies and daffodils all aligned along the pathways. It was an odd one to be exact. Having less colors, and no birds.

The sky was still blue, which ruled out the thoughts that they might be on planet Mars.

"So, who amongst you can farm?" She forced a smile at the three, with Gary standing beside her, who was now wearing a pair of yellow rubber gloves.

His facial expression was telling them to obey and do nothing more. He seemed like the scaredy one, one could tell. One who would do as they were told, no questions asked.

The three friends, glanced at each other slowly, trying to process what they wished they didn't hear clearly. They gave their surrounding one more look and then retired their gazes on Mia and Gary.

"Did you not hear what I just said." She expressed. "Which one of you is good with farm tools or can grow crops? Or if you're willing to learn, we can teach."

"And if there's anyone who would like to join the hunting team, please signify." Gary added shyly and directed his gaze at Jordan.

"Wow." Jordan exclaimed. "And here I was, thinking you wanted to make us lunch or something." He could feel his stomach churn.

"In a farmland?" Mia rolled her eyes.

"Well, I don't see the kitchen anywhere." He said. "Do you guys even have a kitchen." He added.

Mia waived his question out of frustration, which also made Alfred give off a sigh, but Gary butted in to answer.

"An improvised one, we have. But it's inside." Gary replied helpfully.

"How did our lives become so ruined in a flash!?" Clifford pulled a face at the strangers, having being oblivious to what they had been saying.

He eventually budged and walked up to Gary.

He grabbed his arm tight, pulled him closer, then dragged him all the way to a cool spot, under an almond tree nearby. Others also following through.

They took places on a large bare rock that felt cold to the touch, while others stood there wondering what just happened.

The stinging air then ensued as if on cue, and their skin crisped.

"Ow!" Gary yelped even louder as Clifford let go of his arm.

"Now, nobody's listening but us, I believe. So, what were you going to tell us back there?" Clifford asked silently, perfectly ignoring the fact that they just got an offer to cultivate their own crop.

Gary was still rubbing on the spot that hurt, and his gaze met with Clifford's. "You could've just used your words, instead of hurting me."

As soon as he said that, Clifford gave him a cold glare to stop him from whining. "What were you going to tell us?"

The question then registered this time, and he thought back to where Chucky had cut him off, "umm, he said it. That was what I wanted to—"

"Look Gary," Clifford snapped, eyes now serious. "I believe there's something you're not telling us. You have to tell us. 'Cause I'm not buying this whole bull... about this being our home." He flung his arms sideways. "I am getting out of here. And if you have anything that can help us, you have to tell us now. Yeah?" Clifford looked very stern, his gaze burning into Gary's.