Chapter 2: Exonerated

Ever since I was a high school junior, I have never gone to the principal's office until now

As Mr. Gonzalez gripped his hand around my tiny wrist, I try to stay calm, but the thought of getting detention made me think about my ailing grandparents.

Oh God, what if the principal is in his office, calling them right now?

"Mr. Gonzalez!" I hear footsteps scrambling behind us. "Please, stop! Don't do this to Leah!"

Swiveling my head around, I saw Reese, Friday, Charlie, and Ziggy approaching us at full speed.

"Mr. Gonzalez, please," Ziggy begged. "Don't take her to the principal's office."

"Why?" he asks inquisitively. "Leah told me that she did it."

"Yeah, well Leah is a shitty liar," Reese says as he gasped for air. "Everyone knows that!"

"Shut up, Reese!" Friday growled.

Completely embarrassed, Reese eventually shuts his mouth.

"Look, Leah is a good person," confessed Charlie. "She didn't do anything wrong! I was the one who bought the Chocolate Crazies to campus!"

"What?" Mr. Gonzalez cries as he relinquished my hand. "Why would you do that, Charlie?"

"Uh, because the food here sucks ass?" Reese answered back. "No one gives two shits about Meatloaf Surprise, believe me."

Mr. Gonzalez rolls his eyes. "Look, kids, I appreciate your honesty, but-"

Friday boldly cuts him off.

"What we are telling you is the truth: Leah is a good person. She never did any drugs, smoke weed, or cut school."

A cautious Charlie walks up to the puzzled teacher then said: "Deep down, I think you know that Leah isn't a troublemaker."

"I don't."

"Then why are you taking her to the principal's office?" Friday pressed. "If you think she's innocent, let her go."

Mr. Gonzalez frowns; he doesn't know whether if he should take me to Principal Higgin's office or listen to the boys.

But when he looks down at me, the teacher asks if I want to go to the principal's office.

I shake my head no.

"Okay," he smiles. "then you are free to go."

"Really?" I blink in surprise.

"Yeah," Mr. Gonzalez nods,  "but don't let me catch anyone of you in the courtyard again."

"We won't," I beam excitedly. "Thank you."

As soon as he left, the boys gathered around me, asking if I was okay.