CHAPTER 24 *NEW*

NOTE: You don't wanna miss out on this week's hilarious and romantic audiobook reading by kaelking12! 

CHAPTER 24

Elias

I should've listened to Gibner.

I should've cut my losses and faked out the nurses until they sent me home "sick". Or maybe I should've swallowed a box of pencil shavings and projectile-puked my way into the hospital. 'Cause right now, the idea of spewing up wood chunks sounds a hell of a lot better than this.

I can't breathe.

My lungs are screaming for air while I choke down another mouthful of Seven's mint-flavored spit. I didn't think it was possible to die like this, but the longer we keep swapping saliva, the more I'm starting to believe it might happen for real.

I'm drowning.

If I were the Titanic, she'd be the human iceberg. I need a way out fast before my reputation sinks to the bottom of the social Atlantic.

Kissing isn't supposed to feel like being dragged out to sea, but Eve's got it down to a science. A forty-five minute science that I have to put an end to before she puts an end to me. You know it's bad when I start wishing I'd chosen forty-five minutes of actual science class over getting some lady love. Real talk.

"E-Eve?" I say, but she swallows my words in another vacuum of a kiss. She sticks her tongue deeper into the back of my throat, and it triggers something that's all kinds of wrong.

You know those sci-fi movies where the aliens are born by bursting out of people's chests or stomachs or whatever? 

The person just knows that there's something terribly wrong, then, suddenly, the alien tears its way out of their body both confirming their suspicions and leaving just a few seconds for them to realize that death is the inescapable next step of their reality. Yeah, well, kissing Eve feels just like that only coming in instead of going out. And, I need this to stop. Now.

I pull away from her hard and fast when I'm no longer physically able to fake that I'm enjoying any part of this. There's a weird, loud sucking noise when we separate that sounds a lot like forcefully removing an octopus from a glass window. You'd think that would clue her in to something being wrong, but she just smiles at me like she's living out her wildest dreams.

As soon she's off of me, I gasp in mouthful after mouthful of air until I'm dizzy from the feeling. Eve's eyes shift from coy, to confused, to concerned, and for the first time in the last forty-five minutes, I finally spot my chance to escape.