Chapter 14

Spending time with Ryan at the track all day Friday and Saturday was amazing for both Mason and myself. Even more amazing was spending more time with Ryan away from the track. He had dinner with us both nights, staying late on both nights, making out like teenagers when Mason went to bed. The sexual tension was getting to both of us though. If we didn't get to be together soon, both of us would combust. I might need to call my dad and tell him Mason needed some "paw paw time."

I had a talk with Mason and let him know that Ryan and I were going to be dating, but we needed to play it cool because I didn't want to draw attention to it, that it might be a distraction for Ryan, when he needed to focus on his racing. Although he was thrilled and wanted to tell everyone about it, he didn't want it to "mess Ryan up," so he promised to keep it a secret.

The truth was, it wasn't just the fact of it being a possible distraction for Ryan, it was the possible reaction by not just his fans, but everyone. It was all too obvious that I was a good bit older than Ryan, and that made me quite self conscious. Not self conscious enough to give up on the idea though. I was crazy about Ryan, maybe more than just crazy about him, and I couldn't bear the idea of not being with him.

Today was race day. The Coca Cola 600. The longest race of the season, and I was feeling really good about the race. Ryan had been very fast in both practices and qualified second, just barely missing the pole.

"Look mom. Richard Petty signed my cast. I got The King's autograph." Mason ran up to me bursting with excitement. Bubba Wallace was grinning ear to ear behind him. Bubba had offered to take Mason around for his autograph quest while Ryan was doing an appearance. He also wanted to give Ryan and me a few minutes to ourselves, and I was grateful. Bubba had really hit it off with Mason, and thought he was "one hell of a cool kid."

I thanked Bubba, and checked out Mason's cast, which was completely filled with signatures. The NASCAR community was truly amazing. This made having a broken arm a little easier to deal with.

*********

"YESSSSSSS!!!!!" I screamed from the pit box as Ryan crossed the start finish line to take the win. I high fived Mason and Todd.

"I think you two are lucky charms. Might need to come to all the races." Todd said with a grin.

Ryan did his victory celebration. No burnouts. He got the checkered flag from the flag man, then gave it to a child sitting in the grandstand.

He drove into victory lane, showered his team with Body Armor, then gave his interviews. He shared a fist bump from Mason, but I hung back, out of the spotlight.

I watched Jimmie Johnson come up to him and whisper something in his ear. Ryan turned red, then laughed, then whispered back to Jimmie. They both glanced in my direction. I wonder what that was all about.

Ryan finally made his way to me and pulled me off to the side. "Jimmie has his nephew Tyler again this week. He offered to take Mason for the night, if that's okay with you."

If it was okay with me? Hell yes. Bring on the post win celebration. I had heard stories that Ryan got a boner whenever he won a race, and it was obvious he had one now.

I called Mason, who had been talking with Tyler, over. His eyes were pleading with me. I guess Tyler had already asked him. "Have fun kiddo and behave yourself." I grinned at him.

"You're the best mom. I can't believe I'm going to stay at Jimmie Johnson's house." Mason hugged me tightly.

I spoke with Jimmie for a few minutes before he left. Ryan was still doing post race stuff. This could take a while.