Chapter 5: Beaned

The game was 5 to 6 Erie. After Rattley's homer in the 5th to make it 4 to 2 them, we pulled Reece and DJ was given the ball. He finished the 5th nicely, but gave up a trio of big hits to the bottom of the order to make it 2-6 at the end of 6. Then, in the top of the 7th, a response on offense led by Cadmon, who tallied a hot double, answered with three runs, bringing us to where we are now in the top of the 8th. Kade King, a rookie relief pitcher was tossing in the bullpen along with Danny Calliope, our hotheaded closer. Kade's role on the team was the set-up man, meaning he was to set the stage and prepare the defense for Danny. 

The coach scribbled in his notebook and smiled as DJ earned his 5th strikeout. "Catcher, number 32, Sam MacNealy!" MacNealy, with 2 outs, stepped to the plate. DJ tossed a 4 seamer, and MacNealy whiffed.

 "Strike one!" The umpire made sure everyone knew. MacNealy sighed and stepped out. He had been quietly efficient, belting out a single and a walk. He stepped back in and TJ dipped him a curve. He stroked it foul into his team's bullpen. Then, he whiffed. We all brought it in.

 "Alright, fellas. Caldwell, Gentry, Bassitt. Caldwell, Gentry, Bassitt." I strapped on my helmet. My heart was hammering against my chest. I could either go to the plate with a runner ready to score or a chance to end a promising inning.

"Leading off this inning, left fielder, number 14, Kellen Caldwell." Kellen had gone 3 for 4, hitting two singles and a double. He stepped to the plate with arrogance, stroking his beard. I don't know what that guy thinks of all day, but he sure thinks he's a king. He's my best friend, though, so I can't give him flack about it. For all I know, I could be doing that too. We all clamored for an extra base hit. 

"Come on, Kellen!" "Let's go!" Kai, Cadmon, DJ, and I hollered for Kellen. The pitcher tossed one in, and Kellen halted. 

"Strike one!!" The umpire sharply rang Kellen up. Stunned, Kellen retreated out of the box, choking up on the bat. He stepped back in. The pitcher dealt him a change up. Big, BIG mistake. Kellen raked it. We all yelled as Kellen stormed to first. The center fielder hustled towards the ball. Kellen slid into second as the throw came in. 

 We all yelled, as the crowd booed. Jae stepped nervously on deck as Braxton came up. Braxton had gone 1 for 3 and for sure was going to drop in the lineup. Coach was saving our hot new rookie Bray Barranda from injury and having Braxton play his contract year before kicking him off. Braxton, looking glum, came up to the plate. The pitcher fired a shot inside, and Braxton pumped it to the right fielder. Kellen froze a foot away from second. The right fielder made a snap with his glove as he caught it, and Kellen raced for third. The relay from the shortstop came in, but Kellen was too quick. Jae came up with a man on third. 

"Catcher, number 2, Jae Grayden." Jae confidently stepped in. No matter the day, he always was ready to go. The pitcher dealt him an outside curve. He swung and fouled it off. Hugging the plate even more, Jae anticipated another inside pitch. The pitcher put too much of grip on his next heater, and Jae couldn't duck in time.

The ball collided with Jae's side. My stomach dropped. Jae hit the deck, writhing in pain. Our team medic hustled over, immediately asking Jae a boatload of questions. After shaking his head grimly, he carried Jae out on a stretcher.

"Where's Crawford?" Coach frantically searched for his go-to pinch runner, Isaias Crawford, who reported for duty immediately.

"Get on first." Crawford trotted out to first. 

"Pinch running and now in the game, number 11, Isaias Crawford. Now batting, the designated hitter, number 15, Cole Bassitt. Fans, this is tonight's strikeout batter, brought to you by Rookies! If this batter strikes out, then each fan in section H will win a free coupon for a large meal and drink at Rookies' Bar and Grill!" Coach tapped his head, rubbed his tummy, and tapped his wrist, signalling for me to bunt. I showed the bunt, sticking the bat out tauntingly. The pitcher threw me some high heat and I pulled the bat away. Isaias teleported to second.

"Ball one!" I stepped out of the box and looked for the coaches sign. Coach tapped his head, left ear, rubbed his belt, and made a horizontal karate chop. Swing away. I stepped in the box. The pitcher nodded, twisting the ball behind his back. He shot a 2 seam. I swung. It was a ground ball, rolling fast towards the second baseman. The second baseman froze, making a decision. He threw it towards the first baseman, putting me out. Kellen scored and Isaias slid into third safely. 

"Now batting, the first baseman, number 26, Xander Dumas." Xander stepped to the plate. He had gone one for 3 with a single, not too bad given that he's probably not the best baseball player you'll find within 50 feet of you at any given moment. We keep him on because he's our only first baseman, he's a utility player, and he's got a light contract. After taking 2, he walked.

Coach approached me. 

"Cole, I know you've been waiting to hear these words forever, but gear up, you're catching." Excitedly, I grinned and strapped on my royal blue shin guards and chest protector.  After Cadmon grounded out, I trotted out behind the plate like a gladiator. 

"Now pitching for Warren, number 30, Kade King. Now in the game at catcher, number 15, Cole Bassitt." Kade pushed up his thick black glasses and began throwing. 

This put us at a disadvantage. I was the designated hitter, but I was also the only remaining catcher. The only way I could play the field is if the pitcher came in for whoever I replaced. This meant that Kade would now have to bat, something that no pitcher can do well.

"Leading off the bottom of the 8th for your Hawks, shortstop, number 24, Jake Linderwell!" I took a deep breath and prepared to catch the first pitch of my playoff career.