Chapter 9: Are You There, God? It's me, Tate

(note: This chapter is from the perspective of Tate Short. It ends after this chapter ends, and we will go back to Cole's perspective. This chapter may be shorter than the rest.)

I walk back to my hotel room. Ira, my twin brother rolls his clothes-car (that's what Mama called them back at home) up to the wall, and props up his glasses. 

"I'm headin' to the movies. I met this sweet babe on Tinder." Ira and I crack a smile. "Total 10." "Good luck with that. You and I both know you're never gonna get anything done looking like the kid from Home Alone with glasses." 

 "Hardy har HAR." Ira, slightly offended, straightens up his clothes and strolls out of the room, down the hall, where I hear a THUMP, followed by Ty laughing his head off.

I sit on the bed and click on the TV. It's bowling. "In this league, Jim, you can't be second best." Second best. I've always been second best. Second best to Ira as a person. Second best to Cole as a hitter. Second best to Kai as a second baseman. I'm always second best, no matter how hard I tried.

 I noticed Mama always gave me my dinner second, too. Was I even second best to Mama? No, that couldn't be true. Mama loved me and Ira both equally. But Ira got all the girls. Ira got all the scouts. I only got noticed at a game when the scouts were there for Ira. Cole and Mama love me, but the only reason Cole's not besties with Ira is because he's not in the bullpen every day. All the pitchers love Ira too. He's almost always put in. Why can't I be more like Ira?  

No. I have to be myself. I can't be a copy of Ira, even though we're twins. I don't care how Ira turns out, because I'm not going to just be monkey-see-monkey-do and copy him. I have to be my own brand. I know who I am. 

I am Tate Short, and while I may not show it, I want to get better.

But can I? People always call me his 'carbon copy', even though we look nothing alike. Can I shake the habit of being Ira? And who am I? I barely have any personality. All I am to everyone is just Ira 2.0. I remembered the time today that Braxton, a nicer guy on the team, called ME Ira. I have to be myself, because Ira's already taken.

My thoughts were interrupted by Cole strolling through the front door with his Switch. "Sup, Taterino!" I laugh and Cole hooks up his Switch. We play all our favorite games before Ira comes back with-woah- a DROP DEAD GORGEOUS woman. Stunned, Cole and I clap for Ira before leaving to Cole's room to play and give them some private time. I may not have found myself yet, but at least I have Cole.