Prologue

The female knew it was time. She had shifted months ago, her horse telling her it would be soon. She had left the herd in search of a safe place to foal. She came upon a small cave. She trotted along the cave, scanning the walls, making sure everything was perfect for the arrival of her foal.
When her scan was complete, she jogged to the center and laid down, waiting.
0~O~0
At the herd from which she came, the Alpha was nervous. He knew the northern pack of wolf shifters were coming to attack. He was worried, the winter had taken his best warriors, and now the wolves were coming for them. He jogged in place, when he saw the wolves on the horizon.

He whinnied an alarm, the females and their children ran off, only to be cut off by wolves. In the front, the Alpha and his warriors charged the wolves, only to realize they were greatly outnumbered and it was to late for them. In a flash of hooves, blood, and fangs, the Alpha horse and his herd were gone forever.
0~O~o
The female was weak, the child's birth had taken a lot out of her, both were resting. Then, the female heard the noise of her herd being killed. She quickly tried to get up, but that was her mistake. A lone wolf came in and quickly killed her. The child lay down, sleeping.
The wolf came over and inspected the baby, the wolf shifted into her human and scooped up the infant, and walked out of the cave, leaving the lifeless and limp horse shifter's body inside.